**EGR** CONFUSION ** - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 12:24 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
**EGR** CONFUSION **

Look guys I coach High School Football in Texas and if someone who knows nothing about Football ask me a question on let's say how to run/block an Influence Trap against a 4-3 defense or what ever I would be able to tell them. Now with that being said I know nothing about Diesel Trucks and as of 2 weeks ago I'm a first time owner. I bought a 2008 CC w/6.4L PS - I have done a DPF/CAT delete and went with the SCT9625OR tuner.

When tuning it ask Has the EGR been removed from Vehicle ? Answer choices are - Yes it has & No it hasn't - Seems simple RIGHT ? WRONG !!

First let me say I have done nothing to the EGR period and don't really understand it ! (So I would think "No it Hasn't" is the proper choice)

Here's the deal I keep getting mixed info. from all the experts- Innovative Diesel -- Rudy's -- SCT. I want say who said what as I'm sure they all have their reasons and I don't want to trash anyone. Some say click "Yes it Has" (even though it hasn't) and some say click "No it Hasn't" (because it hasn't)
I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HECK TO DO !!! CAN YOU UNDERSTAND MY CONFUSION ?? HELP !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2011, 12:27 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBEDAM View Post
Look guys I coach High School Football in Texas and if someone who knows nothing about Football ask me a question on let's say how to run/block an Influence Trap against a 4-3 defense or what ever I would be able to tell them. Now with that being said I know nothing about Diesel Trucks and as of 2 weeks ago I'm a first time owner. I bought a 2008 CC w/6.4L PS - I have done a DPF/CAT delete and went with the SCT9625OR tuner.

When tuning it ask Has the EGR been removed from Vehicle ? Answer choices are - Yes it has & No it hasn't - Seems simple RIGHT ? WRONG !!

First let me say I have done nothing to the EGR period and don't really understand it ! (So I would think "No it Hasn't" is the proper choice)

Here's the deal I keep getting mixed info. from all the experts- Innovative Diesel -- Rudy's -- SCT. I want say who said what as I'm sure they all have their reasons and I don't want to trash anyone. Some say click "Yes it Has" (even though it hasn't) and some say click "No it Hasn't" (because it hasn't)
I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HECK TO DO !!! CAN YOU UNDERSTAND MY CONFUSION ?? HELP !!!
I would think if you click yes, the tune will turn the EGR system off, if you click no then the EGR system functions as designed. If I'm wrong, someone will definately let me know.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:31 PM

Yes - I think that is correct from talking with all the pros, but which is the correct choice ?
Old 01-19-2011, 12:36 PM
Mod Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBEDAM View Post
Yes - I think that is correct from talking with all the pros, but which is the correct choice ?
Personally, I would click yes to shut the valve off. With the valve off, it will stay closed and help prevent (won't stop them completely) the hot gases from going through the EGR coolers and causing them to blow. The 6.4 coolers are a lot better than the 6.0 coolers but can still blow.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I've been in the same boat as you for a little over a year now. I don't know what to answer to it, so I choose no it hasn't. I'm still not totally sure what yes does, but from what I understand it still cycles it at idle.

I had it answered yes until recently, when I tried to answer no again, and my EGR valve stuck. So, I reprogrammed it saying yes again and the truck ran fine. Then I had to have the truck inspected so I put the DPF on but still said yes when I reprogrammed it, and then the EGR valve stuck, and I got it replaced under warranty.

Not sure what you want to take from that, cause I still can't really tell what I'm supposed to do. I posted this same question on PSN and didn't really get a definitive answer from anyone....
Old 01-19-2011, 12:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Everything I have read on the forums (mainly over on PSN) is to choose YES. To be sure, I would shoot a PM to Aaron at Rudy's.

His user name on here is "Rudy's diesel performance"
Old 01-19-2011, 01:06 PM
Premium Member

It is just as confusing trying to pick out which egr delete to install. When it's time, I'll probably go to Rudy (wish he was closer) and have it done with head studs. My truck has been DPF/DOC deleted and tuned for 65k (has 85k on the clock) and I've always answered no, and have not seen any issues, yet.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:08 PM

Triple E44 - your right doesn't seem to be a definitive answer ! LOL !!

Stroker - I have selected "YES" but common sense says select "NO" and I have talked to Aaron and Gabe at Rudy's very nice guys and seem to know their stuff, but so does Innovative and SCT - I want say who but 2 said select "NO" -- & 1 said select "YES" -- I'm LOST/CONFUSED on this one.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I would go by what Eric at Innovative says to do then. He has been tuning with the Livewire since it released and knows his stuff.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:22 PM

Hopefully one of the Experts (Not me) will get on here, give us an answer and then explain their position. I'd take the dam thing off if I had the $$$ to do so, but will have to wait awhile !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.