Rough Shifting & Poor MPG After Tune - Please Help ! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2011, 10:34 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry Rough Shifting & Poor MPG After Tune - Please Help !

2008 F250 CC 4x4 6.4L Power Stroke

PLEASE BARE WITH ME !

Did DPF/CAT delete with the SCT9625OR tuner. Had installed last Wednesday, and have driven approx. 320 miles. I was told to put it on the extreme tune w/race (firm) setting on tranny setting and drive like a grandpa for best mpg. I will admit that I got on it once just to see what it would do (WOW!) and had it in tow tune for about 90 of the 320 miles, when I had to go to dealer to pick up my 5th wheel, but only actually pulled it for about 45 miles. After this I switched back to the extreme tune. Here are my 2 problems PLEASE HELP : MPG-12 same as I was getting and this morning coming into work I slowed down to make a turn and when I resumed acceleration tranny seemed to spin or pause and then slam into gear jerking entire truck ! What is the problem ??????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2011, 12:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The shifting is going to be rough, but will smooth out. Most people try to do a re-learn process which involves a few wide open runs and a few half throttle runs both 0-60 or so. If not, it'll take about 2 weeks(in my experience) to get it smoothed out.

As far as MPG goes, 320 miles is not a full tank for me so I'm assuming you're going off of the dash. If you're going off the dash hold down the toggle button to reset the AVG MPG number and you'll probably make yourself happy till you can see what it does over a full tank hand calculated.

As far as the weird tranny thing, it's happened to me a LOT. With the Innovative tune I have, it does not happen, but something with the canned SCT stuff it does happen to me in one turn if I'm coasting and slowly accelerate around 20mph or so. Not sure what to tell you there other than carry more speed around the corner or less speed.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:20 PM

Thanks for your response -
320 was not a full tank for me either I just refilled and recorded gallons it took and divided into 320. Was getting around 12. I was told it should get way more than that. 12 is what it was getting stock. However I did change tunes and tow a little in that 320.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:43 PM
Premium Member

I Would think a couple of WOT and pulling a trailer is not going to give you an accurate number.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'd say you'll do better than that. The towing typically changes the mpg a lot too.

My truck on 37s calcs out to 15.4 consistently according to the last couple of tanks, and that's on 37s w/ 7'' lift.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBEDAM View Post
2008 F250 CC 4x4 6.4L Power Stroke

PLEASE BARE WITH ME !

Did DPF/CAT delete with the SCT9625OR tuner. Had installed last Wednesday, and have driven approx. 320 miles. I was told to put it on the extreme tune w/race (firm) setting on tranny setting and drive like a grandpa for best mpg. I will admit that I got on it once just to see what it would do (WOW!) and had it in tow tune for about 90 of the 320 miles, when I had to go to dealer to pick up my 5th wheel, but only actually pulled it for about 45 miles. After this I switched back to the extreme tune. Here are my 2 problems PLEASE HELP : MPG-12 same as I was getting and this morning coming into work I slowed down to make a turn and when I resumed acceleration tranny seemed to spin or pause and then slam into gear jerking entire truck ! What is the problem ??????????

I had the best luck on a sct tuned truck I set up for a friend on the 85hp tune if i remember right. I also set his shift points as low as I could.
Try those settings, you should get 20 MPG no problem.

Also, the trans needs to be trained/learned after tuning the truck. The truck needs to go through all the gears several times(1-5-1) at different throttle inputs, with the last runs being WOT.

Hope that helps
Old 01-19-2011, 04:47 AM

Thanks guys
Better news to report -- I had about a 150 mile drive last night round trip, going through 4 or 5 small towns but mostly highway. I filled up before leaving and filled up when I got back. Hand calculated and got 19mpg, truck said I was getting 23.7 LOL !! but I will take 19 if it can do it consistantly ! OH & there were no slams (last night anyway).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.