Let the upgrades (and deletes) begin - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2011, 05:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Talking Let the upgrades (and deletes) begin

Hey folks... after browsing this site for quite some time, knowing I would be purchasing a new 'stroke, I decided to become a member. This site is AWESOME, and gave LOTS of useful info... now to what I have done to this beast...

Purchased 2 weeks ago... '09 King Ranch 4x4... goal is to have a better, faster, more fuel efficient, more powerful, and better looking truck than my father-in-law's '06 GMC duramax. All he has is the edge w/ attitude deal.

When I got the truck, guy I purchased it from had only the Bully Dog Power Pup programmer. I swiftly took that thing off. I purchased a H&S Mini Maxx and DPF/Cat Delete (Thanks Nate at Performance Truck Products... AWESOME to deal with... Purchased last Monday night... H&S here Wednesday, exhaust here Friday). Installed Friday evening by myself... pulling off the dpf/cat was pretty easy except for dealing with the rubber hangers by myself... like wrestling a bear. But I did it in about an hour and a half for everything. More than burning off the tires and blowing smoke, I was trying to get better mileage. Trying to drive good (it's HARD with this awesome power), my lying-meter shows 22.1mpg in town... from what i've heard, this is probably in the 17 range? Previous in-town was like 11. I'll update when I calculate it by hand.

Next upgrade... Cold Air Intake... probably AFE (oil or no-oil? help!). Might eventually replace from downpipe-back. Also gonna need new tires pretty quick... what do yall think about the Terra Grapplers for long-lasting? (or maybe this should be put in another thread).

I also put on the KC lights... hooked up to Aux1 upfitter switch. Works great.

Anyways, always looking for suggestions for my duramax-eater. But, at this point, whether I can beat him in a drag race or not, I still think I have the better truck!
Attached Thumbnails
Let the upgrades (and deletes) begin-photo-1-2-.jpg   Let the upgrades (and deletes) begin-photo-2.jpg   Let the upgrades (and deletes) begin-photo-3.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2011, 05:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcTTU View Post
...Anyways, always looking for suggestions for my duramax-eater. But, at this point, whether I can beat him in a drag race or not, I still think I have the better truck!
We can help you, give me a call.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:47 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Installed Friday evening by myself... pulling off the dpf/cat was pretty easy except for dealing with the rubber hangers by myself... like wrestling a bear.
It is much easier to unbolt the brackets from the frame rail instead of dealing with the rubber hangers and leave everything attached to the DPF. I know it is not helpful now, but for future reference in case you need to install the DPF. Welcome to powerstroke.org!
Old 01-18-2011, 03:42 AM

Welcome to the org! Sounds like your in the right direction for mods As far as your filter goes, I had an Amsoil/ Injen on my 06 and it was and oil less filter. I loved it! But im sure someone else will chime in on a correct one for your rig. Im still using my oem at this time
Old 01-18-2011, 06:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanScott View Post
It is much easier to unbolt the brackets from the frame rail instead of dealing with the rubber hangers and leave everything attached to the DPF. I know it is not helpful now, but for future reference in case you need to install the DPF. Welcome to powerstroke.org!
Like an idiot, I saw that and thought that was a great idea just as I was fighting with the last hanger. Oh well, it seems like everything I do, I do the hard way!
Old 01-18-2011, 07:05 AM

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
Good looking truck man. I would look into the AFE or the S&B intake. It all depends how loud you want the intake to be. AFE is louder than the S&B. S&B is cheaper. You wont have a problem romping on the dmax with your hotter tunes.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:09 AM

Welcome to the Org!
Old 01-18-2011, 07:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

arcTTU, i just orderd the same thing. well i went w/ the 4in down pipe back. hows the thing run w/ that set-up. what tune r u running on it? i have a 08 king.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Hey folks... after browsing this site for quite some time, knowing I would be purchasing a new 'stroke, I decided to become a member. This site is AWESOME, and gave LOTS of useful info... now to what I have done to this beast...

Purchased 2 weeks ago... '09 King Ranch 4x4... goal is to have a better, faster, more fuel efficient, more powerful, and better looking truck than my father-in-law's '06 GMC duramax. All he has is the edge w/ attitude deal.

When I got the truck, guy I purchased it from had only the Bully Dog Power Pup programmer. I swiftly took that thing off. I purchased a H&S Mini Maxx and DPF/Cat Delete (Thanks Nate at Performance Truck Products... AWESOME to deal with... Purchased last Monday night... H&S here Wednesday, exhaust here Friday). Installed Friday evening by myself... pulling off the dpf/cat was pretty easy except for dealing with the rubber hangers by myself... like wrestling a bear. But I did it in about an hour and a half for everything. More than burning off the tires and blowing smoke, I was trying to get better mileage. Trying to drive good (it's HARD with this awesome power), my lying-meter shows 22.1mpg in town... from what i've heard, this is probably in the 17 range? Previous in-town was like 11. I'll update when I calculate it by hand.

Next upgrade... Cold Air Intake... probably AFE (oil or no-oil? help!). Might eventually replace from downpipe-back. Also gonna need new tires pretty quick... what do yall think about the Terra Grapplers for long-lasting? (or maybe this should be put in another thread).

I also put on the KC lights... hooked up to Aux1 upfitter switch. Works great.

Anyways, always looking for suggestions for my duramax-eater. But, at this point, whether I can beat him in a drag race or not, I still think I have the better truck!
Welcome to the site bro! Glad to hear you are enjoying the Mini Maxx. As far as intakes go, I would look at an AFE Stage II or S&B. Some people get dry, some get the standard oiled filter. Its all personal preference really. If you want something easy to deal with, go dry. With a down pipe back kit you will notice deeper tone and your EGTs will drop some as well. You know where to find me if you need anything.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jato1229 View Post
arcTTU, i just orderd the same thing. well i went w/ the 4in down pipe back. hows the thing run w/ that set-up. what tune r u running on it? i have a 08 king.
Its working GREAT... i have it on the highest setting on the hot damn set of tunes. It starts beeping at me if I floor it up to 80mph (EGT alarm), which I did for the tranny learning deal... but I think I can raise the EGT alarm setting up to 1600 or 1650 from what i've heard. Other than that, runs awesome. I don't really reommend the race tranny, as it made the entire truck jerk between gears... much happier with the firm. Have the lock up at 55 i think... some people have 45... I don't really know, but does anyone think 45 might yield better mpg's?

I have had two tuned 7.3L trucks with muffler deletes, and this one would eat either of those for lunch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.