Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Stock/4"/5" Exhaust Perforamance?

930 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  HighOn20s 
#1 ·
If doing a dpf/cat delete pipe what are the real performance differences in the different size pipes? What are the gains/benefits from going up in size? The obvious negative is price. And does adding a muffler keep your truck from sounding like a party favor? Thanks for any response.

#2 ·
5" with a muffler is going to sound the best (in my opinion). As far as performance goes, I would do at least a 4" downpipe back kit if you plan on running big tunes. If you never plan on running big tunes (and beyond), just a DPF/CAT delete pipe is plenty. If you plan on running your truck hard a lot, I would do a 4" downpipe in to at least a 4" downpipe back exhaust.

Hope this helps!

#3 ·
4" is all you really need, 5" is more for sound, looks, and bragging rights. That being said, 5" does sound great on a 6.4L. With or without a muffler is personal preference. Kits with a muffler will get rid of some of the turbo sound (rushing air). If you are just going with the DPF/Cat delete, get the 4". The 5" is more for people who already have a 5" DPF back exhaust.

#4 ·
If you like that Turbo/Blow dryer sound or like people looking at your truck with the WTF is in that thing then get the 4" down pipe back with no muffler.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.