Mini Maxx - Odd Lock Up Speeds - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2011, 03:34 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mini Maxx - Odd Lock Up Speeds

Hey all,

Installed H&S Mini Maxx, DPF/cat delete, and S&B on my '08 F250 several weeks ago - truck has 8" lift and 37's. Left it alone with the mild tune (ran the 225 tune) and the Firm 55mph lock up - also recalibrated the stock speedo via the Mini Maxx so that the readout on the factory speedo and mini is the same.

However, I noticed that when accelerating on the freeway, I consistently had to run the truck up to over 2100rpm and 65mph in order to get it to lock up. Repeated this multiple times and it was dead nuts on the lock up at 65mph every time.

So, after filling up today and not being overly impressed with my 13.8mpg, most of which was highway, I decided to download a new tune. I installed the Hot Damm tune (running the 250) and the Firm 45mph Lock Up.

Took it out to test the new setup, and it consistently would not lock up until 52mph, not 45mph. And if it dropped from 52mph down to 50, it started bouncing in and out of gears.

Called up H&S, and they said I am accelerating too hard, thus causing it to lock up later than 45mph. Said that it has to be less than 18% throttle. So, I went back out just now and kept it below 10% throttle to try and get it to lock up at 45mph. No such luck - still locking up at 52mph.

Anybody have any ideas or similar experience? I've done alot of searching on here and haven't been able to find any answers.

Any help would be apprecited, or feel free to tell me I'm an idiot and that's what I get with a lifted truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2011, 04:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

The lock-up speeds referenced on the website will only apply if you are running tuning with stock tire size calibration. Since you have calibrated the tires to a different setting, the lock-up speeds will also be changed. In actuality, the lockup is actually happening at the exact same time as a stock truck at 45mph, but your speedo is just reading higher because of your recalibrated tires. (you can test this by re-installing the download, and leave the tire size stock. It should lock up at 45mph)

I will send an e-mail to our tech department about this, and inform them for future calls. Thanks!
Old 01-12-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H&S Tech View Post
The lock-up speeds referenced on the website will only apply if you are running tuning with stock tire size calibration. Since you have calibrated the tires to a different setting, the lock-up speeds will also be changed. In actuality, the lockup is actually happening at the exact same time as a stock truck at 45mph, but your speedo is just reading higher because of your recalibrated tires. (you can test this by re-installing the download, and leave the tire size stock. It should lock up at 45mph)

I will send an e-mail to our tech department about this, and inform them for future calls. Thanks!

Thanks for the info. I def wasn't complaining, I was just curious.

This opens a new question for me - Even though my speedo is recalibrated with the Mini-Maxx, and it should be reading the correct speed, do I still need to add in an additonal % difference in stock vs current tires when calculating my fuel mileage? Or do I just use the mileage straight off the trip meter?
Old 01-13-2011, 05:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by txaggie929 View Post
Thanks for the info. I def wasn't complaining, I was just curious.

This opens a new question for me - Even though my speedo is recalibrated with the Mini-Maxx, and it should be reading the correct speed, do I still need to add in an additonal % difference in stock vs current tires when calculating my fuel mileage? Or do I just use the mileage straight off the trip meter?
If the tires are accurately calibrated, the trip mileage should be dead on the money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.