dpf-gut - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 02:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
dpf-gut

im gonna gut my dpf this weekend. will my cat get plugged up right away? im running the livewire with a kem low hp tow tune. i use my rig for heavy towing and dont want to blow smoke all over and get hassled by the bears.

thanks in advance fellas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2011, 03:38 PM

Surban, just my opinion for ya, I did the dpf/doc delete and a minimax and I dont smoke at all. Unless I get hard on the skinny pedel. I wouldn't gut your dpf. Id keep it just incase. Just my 02 cents. Plus you get rid of a heck of a lot of weight!
Old 01-11-2011, 03:45 PM

i need to keep the dpf on to fool the smokies. also i have an extra dpf off my dads 6.4, he runs a delete pipe. i might just gut both the dpf and cat. but i would like to keep the cat intact to help trap some soot. but i suppose that will only work for so long before it clogs. hopefully someone will chime in who has ran just the cat for many miles.

how you liking the fresh delete sawed off? you ride sleds? we might have to grab a beer some day being as we live in the same zip
Old 01-11-2011, 05:34 PM

Is there a process/write-up to actually gutting a CAT/DPF?

Or is it just take it off and give'r ****?

We don't have sniffer tests around here, so I was thinking of this route because we just have random roadside inspections provided by our local smokies. I don't know how hard they are into catching DPF's here, but it'd be nice to not have to worry.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:39 PM

i think you just pull it off and let er buck. i have heard of long drill bits being the easiest way. so thats what ill try
Old 01-11-2011, 09:13 PM

I used a long drill bit and a hammer drill to gut mine. Once you get a hole through it, you can break out bigger chunks. Wear a mask, there is some sort of insulation around the outside of the ceramic.

I don't think the cat will clog. I left the cat in place and I have about 18000 miles on mine with no signs of clogging.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:40 AM

If it is a visual inspection you are worried about buy a delete pipe withthe bungs in it and install the sensors call it a performance systems....
Old 01-12-2011, 05:04 AM

surban, I'm. Lovin the dpf/doc delete. Nate over at performance truck products talked me into both. That stock pipe is heavy as hell. When I first gave it a little pedel I noticed a big difference! As far as a sled, yep I got one 06 firecat. Deffinatly hit ya up for a beer one of these days!
Old 01-12-2011, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstroke43 View Post
I used a long drill bit and a hammer drill to gut mine. Once you get a hole through it, you can break out bigger chunks. Wear a mask, there is some sort of insulation around the outside of the ceramic.

I don't think the cat will clog. I left the cat in place and I have about 18000 miles on mine with no signs of clogging.
thanks for your input. i probably would have over looked the mask, and its good to hear your cats doin good

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD05 View Post
If it is a visual inspection you are worried about buy a delete pipe withthe bungs in it and install the sensors call it a performance systems....
i want to take every measure possible to avoid a big fine. my vehicle is commercial and is subject to some very stringent inspections. i almost didnt want to start a thread, you never know who looks at this stuff. i did consider just the delete pipe because it would be alot easier but in the end chose the safest route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawed Off View Post
surban, I'm. Lovin the dpf/doc delete. Nate over at performance truck products talked me into both. That stock pipe is heavy as hell. When I first gave it a little pedel I noticed a big difference! As far as a sled, yep I got one 06 firecat. Deffinatly hit ya up for a beer one of these days!
sounds good man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.