how hot is TOO HOT - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 06:52 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
how hot is TOO HOT

how hot is too hot when it comes to egt's, i know there are MANY different opinions about this but i have read here that the higher tunes will touch 1800 degree's and thats ok for only a few seconds. i have my defuel set on my minimaxx for 1700 and if i do a 0-80 or 0-100 it will defuel because of egt's. but like i said ive seen read others see 1800 by the end of a long acceleration run. i know its not good for the engine, and its not like i plan on reaching these egt's very often but was just curious about what others are egt's others are hitting with the h&s hot tune or the kem 345. i dont think the kem 345 has ever defueled on my truck, but the h&s does
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2011, 05:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have the Spartan and it beeps , flashes and yells at me if I hit 1600 (don't remember if I set that as the alarm point or if it came that way) but the only time I ever had that happen was accelerating up a steep hill, foot on the floor , with a 34 foot long, 12.5k pound toy hauler behind it (made the ricer car I was passing do a pretty funny double take though).

I've heard the same thing about 1800 being OK for short durations, but I think I'll keep my alarm set at 1600. But if you do decide to run 1800 let us know how it works out (seriously , I'd like to know if these things can really take it)

Last edited by Antonm; 01-05-2011 at 05:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-05-2011, 05:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I've hit in the 1800 or so range going down the 1/4 mile track, but never on the street unless I was testing tunes on a safe road. I would not hold more than 1400-1500 for very long. 1600+ needs to be in short bursts.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:35 PM

I got my 6.4 w/Edge juice w/attitude set to start defueling at 1250F EGTs (cause I want the turbos to last) and I only see above 1250F at 95 mph and up or when Iam pulling my 30ft gooseneck trailer loaded and when it is fueling at stock level ill only see 1350F EGTs (when it's in tow mode), but I was told by a Class 8 truck tech that 1500F EGTs is a good set point to not go past, or youll need to be replacing turbos cause the vanes wont hold to the heat.

Quick question, my truck will level off at 380F EGTs in drive (When iam sitting in the parking lot letting the turbos cool down) but when I put it in park the EGTs will lower to 300ish but when I put it in drive again EGTs will raise to 380F EGTs just sitting just wondering if that is normal and if so why?
Old 01-05-2011, 06:01 PM

my truck under sitting regen was at 1425 egt. Was not happy about that. I set my alarm for 1500. The 250 tune will just make it beep on a 0-100 run. The 275 wont. Towing I drop the alarm to 1350. Anyone hitting 1800+, dont forget the sensor stops reading at 1840 degrees. i also have the intercooler pipe and downpipe on my truck, so I hope that helps a little.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:29 AM

I have seen over 1700 a few times in short bursts and it seems fine. The heads are off of mine at the moment and everything looked great other than the blown hg and warped heads. Haha
Old 01-23-2011, 06:46 AM
I don't know nuttin....

If your seeing 1800 degrees, you will also be seeing an engine rebuild eventually i think.
Consider a nice water injection setup to keep those temps down a few 100 degrees.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:51 AM

I have never held those temps and the longest I have seen temps over 1400-1500 was during regen in park. Haha. So hopefully it doesn't die
Old 01-23-2011, 08:11 AM

Sorry for the dumb question, but what does setting the defuel paramaters actually do? I havent set them up on my minimax yet
Old 01-23-2011, 01:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Has anyone tried a EGR delete on the 6.4 yet? Looking at doing it at the same time as I do my head studs but havent heard much about it yet, so just wondering if any one has done it and what they have noticed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.