Tuner choices with DPF installed - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 05:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Briggskid987
Tuner choices with DPF installed

I've been looking into a couple tuners for my new truck and was wondering if anyone had some advice on which one was better for leaving the dpf on the truck. I use the truck for my landscape business so the truck is pulling 5,000-7,500 pounds 4-6 days per week from March 15- Dec 15. I plow snow in the winter so it sees run time then. I average about 22-25000 miles per year.

Truck is still like new and only has 7600 miles on it. I put a dpf back exhaust on it about a month after purchasing it but other then that the power train is stock. I am running Rotella 5w40 synthetic oil in the engine. I will probably be installing a AFE stage 2 intake in a couple months as well.

I'm looking at either an SCT Live wire tuner (Had one on an 06 f250 and loved it), A diablo sport trinity or possibly a Spartan.

I know doing a dpf delete would be in my best interest and I'd love to do it but the DOT is huge around here and I'm almost positive I would have a problem before this summer is over! Thanks for any help, and recomendations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2011, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

I was running my mini maxx with the dpf on for a couple of months.....definitely saw an increase in horse power and throttle response, BUT the truck went into regen everytime I turned around. This was killing my fuel milage. I have since deleted that #@#$& dpf and will be putting my new duel exhaust On that just arrived. I personally would not recommend running it with the dpf on,, my opinion it defeats the purpose.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:43 PM
IBEW Journeyman Lineman

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I agree with the previous post. Running a DPF on tune may give you some more power but its still going to clog your DPF faster. Which will cause more regeneration cycles and end up using more fuel. I wouldn't normally recommend Banks but if you are solid with keeping the DPF then that may be a good tuner to look into.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
like everyone else has said... you can get a tuner for DPF on but i wouldnt recommend it. the only good thing about going with like a H&S unit is that you also have the ability to do the DPF off on the same tuner so you save a lil bit of money...

my recommendation is any of the H&S products and later on deleting the DPF with the same unit...

if you need some prices let me know

-Raul
Old 01-04-2011, 06:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
double post
Old 01-04-2011, 07:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to Briggskid987
Thanks for the input!
Old 01-05-2011, 06:32 AM

During the two (2) years that I have been using the SixGun have had a very good experience with it (and Banks service is outstanding). When not towing, at level 5 it achieve reasonable power (around 80HP over stock) without increase the regenerations, it is really a clean tune. You have to familiarize with it when towing to select the best power level between level 1 (stock) and level 4. I didn't like the level 6 at all, it triggers the regeneration notably sooner and the power increase over level 5 is almost unnoticeable. In general, the vehicle wills behaves as stock but with a HP increase along the complete acceleration spectrum. The motor operation remains very stable as stock, the turbo lag will remain as stock, the MPG increase is almost unnoticeable but certainly it will not reduce it (in no way).

If you are looking for MPG increase, nothing will help you if the emission control systems remain in your truck. I installed an aftermarket filter, the DPF back exhaust (without the stock muffler/resonator), and the SixGun, and the net MPG increase achieved was around 1. In that sense the investment has near null payback. From the clean and safe power increase point of view, you will have around 80 more HP (combining Tuner, CAI, and Exhaust) and should expect to pass any inspection test without problem. In that sense it has a great value for many.

Last edited by CaribePickup; 01-05-2011 at 06:40 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briggskid987 View Post
I've been looking into a couple tuners for my new truck and was wondering if anyone had some advice on which one was better for leaving the dpf on the truck. I use the truck for my landscape business so the truck is pulling 5,000-7,500 pounds 4-6 days per week from March 15- Dec 15. I plow snow in the winter so it sees run time then. I average about 22-25000 miles per year.

Truck is still like new and only has 7600 miles on it. I put a dpf back exhaust on it about a month after purchasing it but other then that the power train is stock. I am running Rotella 5w40 synthetic oil in the engine. I will probably be installing a AFE stage 2 intake in a couple months as well.

I'm looking at either an SCT Live wire tuner (Had one on an 06 f250 and loved it), A diablo sport trinity or possibly a Spartan.

I know doing a dpf delete would be in my best interest and I'd love to do it but the DOT is huge around here and I'm almost positive I would have a problem before this summer is over! Thanks for any help, and recomendations!
I HIGHLY suggest getting a tuner that you can run with or without the DPF. Even though you dont want to delete it right now, it is an itch that most people end up scratching. That being said, I suggest one of the three H&S tuners or Spartan.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:17 AM

FWIW, my truck had a Bullydog PMT installed when I bought it. On the 75HP tune, (I think it went to 150) my truck would go into regen every 75 miles. Honesly, I if you don't want to take off the DPF, I would leave the tuning stock. You know what they say about opinions...

Also, I was told that the Highway Patrol are the guys who will nab you for emissions violations, not the DOT. DOT will get you for running farm diesel- very common for landscaping guys! They had a shakedown here in the fall, and mostly landscaping guys got pulled over.

DOT's tough there because all the Democrats are running my home state into the ground and they need the extra money!!! Just sayin! At least Rendell hasn't done wonders for the place. Hopefully Corbett will turn it around.

Last edited by sjl2725; 01-05-2011 at 08:20 AM. Reason: additional comment...
Old 01-05-2011, 08:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have a Banks Six Gunn for sale for $500.00. I started out with the Banks and since then switched to a H&S. The Banks provided a slight power and worked fine with the stock exhaust, it provided no MPG increase and it did not reduce regen frequency at all. The reason I removed it and purchased the H&S was to try and increase fuel economy, which it only provided me an additional 1 MPG (from 13MPG to 14MPG) not towing. When towing my trailer I have noticed a 2 MPG (from 10 to 12MPG), both of which is using the Mild tuning on the 80hp level. If you have any interest in my Six Gunn let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.