Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Mini Maxx Mounting Solution

21K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  dwcok 
#1 ·
HELP!!!:help:
I am getting ready to order a Mini Maxx and need some ideas on a mounting solution. I have seen the dash mount above the vent and I am not a fan (my dash is not black. I know I could paint) I also already have a GPS and do not want a window full of electronics (one is enough) I have thought about the ash tray and above the rear view mirror. (don't know if I can get a longer cord?) Help with pictures please!!!!:dunno::dunno::confused::confused:

#8 ·
#3 ·
This is how I mounted mine. I already had two analog gauges installed and I did not want to remove them.

Motor vehicle Gauge Tachometer Vehicle Speedometer

Automotive mirror Auto part Rear-view mirror Vehicle Windshield

#7 ·
Dont know if you have electronic 4x4 or not, but this may be an option. I have the standard 4x4 so I had the blank panel near my radio. What I did was carefully route the cable from the OBD2 up to behind the panel, popped the plate out, bought some industrial velcrow and stuck the velcrow to the Mini, then the Mini onto the plate where I wanted it, took the Mini off and drilled a hole through the middle of the velcrow that was now stuck to the plate and ran the cable through the plate, hooked up the cable, stuck the Mini to the plate right where the velcrow was then put the plate back on. Been like this for 10k miles and does not move, vibrate or anything!

#10 ·
Dont know if you have electronic 4x4 or not, but this may be an option. I have the standard 4x4 so I had the blank panel near my radio. What I did was carefully route the cable from the OBD2 up to behind the panel, popped the plate out, bought some industrial velcrow and stuck the velcrow to the Mini, then the Mini onto the plate where I wanted it, took the Mini off and drilled a hole through the middle of the velcrow that was now stuck to the plate and ran the cable through the plate, hooked up the cable, stuck the Mini to the plate right where the velcrow was then put the plate back on. Been like this for 10k miles and does not move, vibrate or anything!

That is sweet.....

#12 ·
Here is my mount

Here is how I did mine. Took about 2 hours total start to finish. I had an old Belkin USB charger. Took it apart and hollowed it out with drill to accommodate the HDMI cord supplied with the Mini Maxx. Used a saw and cut the front of the USB charger at an angle so the Mini Maxx was tilted up slightly and not aiming straight at my waist. Once I had the HDMI wire inside the Charger piece I mixed quick set epoxy and filled the hollow area of the charger, holding the hdmi cable in place (again at a slight angle up so when the Mini Maxx unit is plugged in it faces up slightly) While everything was drying I took the cigarette lighter piece off the dash and cut the back end off so the usb charger could go in as far as I needed it to so the Mini Maxx didn't stick out too far. I applied a dab of epoxy to the back end of the charger once I had it where I thought it looked and fit the best. Here is the result.

The thing I like about this mount is that you can still remove the unit (when you are in a shady neighborhood, etc very easily.

Also, if you need to hide it for dealership visits etc, you can disconnect the cable and pull the entire charger assembly out and stick the cigarette lighter or plug cap back in and looks like nothing was ever done or mounted there.

I did have to remove the unit and mount it closer to the dash as my leg hit the unit a few times this weekend. Now it sits almost flush with the dash and is in the perfect spot. Hope this helps!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.