Best driving technique to prevent back pressure? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2010, 08:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Best driving technique to prevent back pressure?

Hey guys. I'm in the process of having studs (ARP) and gaskets (Onyx) installed. I got the Cobb's EGR delete kit as well. Since that kit has no waste gate, I was wondering what the best approach would be to prevent back pressure spikes. I assume rapid a decrease in throttle position while in a high boost state is the main reason for spikes in back pressure? Would rolling out of the throttle in that situation help? And while I'm on the topic of EGR deletion....is there any appreciable gains in throttle response and spool-up after installing a cooler delete kit or is that all marketing BS. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2010, 08:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Keeping boost down is one way. Any time you are at WOT, you are going to see high back pressure. Not really much you can do to prevent it without a wastegate. Back pressure to boost ratio on these trucks is almost always 2:1 or worse. You want it to be as close 10 1:1 as possible, which is only achieved with a wastegate......or a single turbo.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:16 PM

Would opening the egr say 10 or 20% at wot help lower the pressure ? maybe save the head gaskets. And would it hurt performance ?
Old 12-19-2010, 05:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

It would make EGT's go up, increase soot out the tailpipe, and not be good for the motor.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:06 PM

well by putting a wastegate to keep the boost down, that would mean less power???
and at what psi that wastegate is usually set at to be safe?
Old 01-14-2011, 08:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by F35008 View Post
well by putting a wastegate to keep the boost down, that would mean less power???
and at what psi that wastegate is usually set at to be safe?
Actually, with a wastegate you don't lose much boost. Also, by relieving some of that back pressure, your truck is going to run more efficiently....which can mean more power.

You can still make 45-48 lbs of boost with the wastegate. The nice thing is, your back pressure is going to be in the 50-55 psi range at those boost levels if it has the correct spring in it and it is tuned right. Without a wastegate, the back pressure to boost ratio can exceed 2:1....which ain't efficient at all.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:45 PM

OK, so if I put the EGR block off plate only, all the exhaust will go in the turbos creating more boost cuz there is no where else to go and by then creating more back pressure?? because at the beginning at tough that only small exhaust pipe was creating back pressure but now I'm not sure I understand clearly what cause it, is it because of the hot gas coming from the EGR?? can you light me up on that??

Tanks in advance i really appreciate all the info you guy's give me on that site!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.