SCT programmer and River City Diesel = Very Happy - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2010, 08:09 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SCT programmer and River City Diesel = Very Happy

Okay so a little history for those of you that want to know it all! My truck is an 09 F250 cc/sb 4x4 with 3.55 gears. It is my company construction truck. I bought it new about 9 months ago with 67 miles on it, I now have 25300 miles. I am an extremely anal person and document/test everything I do. I wanted to give the truck some time to make sure all bugs were out and I would know exactly how the truck feels. The truck is bone stock with a K+N filter and Amsoil (which I run in everything I own). With this setup I would average about 13mpg in town and 17-18mpg on the interstate both unloaded. And yes....I hand calculate every fill up and I also always get fuel from the same place and same pump and park the same way, just to make sure all my data is accurate. Actually if you do fill up this way you will find (at least my truck is) that your lie-o-meter is pretty accurate. I also through oil analyzing have found, that my truck would end up with around 4% fuel dilution by 4500 miles which for me was all I would allow. So I have changed my oil every 4500 miles $$$. So at 24,900 miles I decided it was time to get rid of the truck killer and start deleting (I wish I knew an epa guy they all need there asses kick, dpf is about the dumbest thing they have ever come up with). So I pulled the truck in the garage, I live in Illinois and right now we have been having single digit temps outside. Due to the temps I had been letting my truck idle more so my "lie-o-meter" was reading around 11.4 and had used about a 1/3 of the tank of fuel. I changed out the pipe (not bad, did it myself on my back), down loaded the tune (River City Diesel's 450hp economy/tow tune), and changed my fuel filters. Like I said early, this is my company truck so power "was not" my main goal. The next day I left the house (0 degrees) and started my day like any other, drove around town to different jobs and supply houses and left truck idle like the day before, but this was not the same truck!! It was better in every way: it ran smoother, it shifted better, it got better mpg and yes had tons more power. By the end of the day my meter had climbed to 14 mpg (I did not reset it yet because it was the same tank of fuel). Today I was going to be on the interstate for most of the day and I was on empty, so I filled up and reset everything. I guess I should also say that I run Fords additives in my truck. Anyway I put about 150 miles of interstate and a little in town driving on the truck today. My first 40 miles were all interstate and I was getting 23.5 mpg and by the end of the day with a little in town driving I was getting 21.5 mpg. I was traveling 74-76 mph on the interstate. Also now I will extend my oil changes to around 25000 miles saving me tons of money. I Love the truck even more than I did. A BIG thanks to RCD and SCT! The truck barely even smokes on full throttle either. This is the truck Ford thought they were making before the epa jack offs got involved. Anyway sorry for the long description but I like to be thorough! If you are on the fence about delete and tune do it....with how much better the truck is, I don't even care if they try and void my warranty. Hope this helps some!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2010, 02:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds great, thanks
Old 12-15-2010, 05:42 AM

Excellent review! I'm on the fence with which tuner to go with and this helps out.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Let us know what your hand calculated MPG is after this tank, the LOM reads way off after tuning.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeller View Post
Okay so a little history for those of you that want to know it all! My truck is an 09 F250 cc/sb 4x4 with 3.55 gears. It is my company construction truck. I bought it new about 9 months ago with 67 miles on it, I now have 25300 miles. I am an extremely anal person and document/test everything I do. I wanted to give the truck some time to make sure all bugs were out and I would know exactly how the truck feels. The truck is bone stock with a K+N filter and Amsoil (which I run in everything I own). With this setup I would average about 13mpg in town and 17-18mpg on the interstate both unloaded. And yes....I hand calculate every fill up and I also always get fuel from the same place and same pump and park the same way, just to make sure all my data is accurate. Actually if you do fill up this way you will find (at least my truck is) that your lie-o-meter is pretty accurate. I also through oil analyzing have found, that my truck would end up with around 4% fuel dilution by 4500 miles which for me was all I would allow. So I have changed my oil every 4500 miles $$$. So at 24,900 miles I decided it was time to get rid of the truck killer and start deleting (I wish I knew an epa guy they all need there asses kick, dpf is about the dumbest thing they have ever come up with). So I pulled the truck in the garage, I live in Illinois and right now we have been having single digit temps outside. Due to the temps I had been letting my truck idle more so my "lie-o-meter" was reading around 11.4 and had used about a 1/3 of the tank of fuel. I changed out the pipe (not bad, did it myself on my back), down loaded the tune (River City Diesel's 450hp economy/tow tune), and changed my fuel filters. Like I said early, this is my company truck so power "was not" my main goal. The next day I left the house (0 degrees) and started my day like any other, drove around town to different jobs and supply houses and left truck idle like the day before, but this was not the same truck!! It was better in every way: it ran smoother, it shifted better, it got better mpg and yes had tons more power. By the end of the day my meter had climbed to 14 mpg (I did not reset it yet because it was the same tank of fuel). Today I was going to be on the interstate for most of the day and I was on empty, so I filled up and reset everything. I guess I should also say that I run Fords additives in my truck. Anyway I put about 150 miles of interstate and a little in town driving on the truck today. My first 40 miles were all interstate and I was getting 23.5 mpg and by the end of the day with a little in town driving I was getting 21.5 mpg. I was traveling 74-76 mph on the interstate. Also now I will extend my oil changes to around 25000 miles saving me tons of money. I Love the truck even more than I did. A BIG thanks to RCD and SCT! The truck barely even smokes on full throttle either. This is the truck Ford thought they were making before the epa jack offs got involved. Anyway sorry for the long description but I like to be thorough! If you are on the fence about delete and tune do it....with how much better the truck is, I don't even care if they try and void my warranty. Hope this helps some!
what tune are you running from river city diesel?
Old 12-15-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordGuy310 View Post
what tune are you running from river city diesel?

There 450 economy/tow tune.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drservo View Post
Let us know what your hand calculated MPG is after this tank, the LOM reads way off after tuning.

Will do. I should be filling up tomorrow and I will hand calculate!
Old 12-16-2010, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drservo View Post

You are correct the LOM is off compared to what it use be. I did not get to finish the tank of fuel with just interstate driving.....some in town and towed a trailer (towing power was unreal) for part of it too. My LOM was still reading around 18 mpg by the end of the tank and I hand calculated it at around 15mpg. This was a mix of interstate, idle, town, and tow driving. Still an excellent increase compared to what a tank like that would have gotten me pre-delete. Looks like my meter is roughly 3mpgs off. So I'm guessing I am around 19-21 on pure interstate driving.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:39 AM

Did you just do a DPF delete pipe or did you also do a cat delete? I am looking at ordering a SCT DPF Delete kit for my '08 F350 King Ranch Dually and I'm unsure about which exhaust option to go. I am looking at their Flo-Pro 5" single downpipe back exhaust kit with DPF and CAT delete, but am not sure if I should go this far or just the stock DPF delete pipe. Any suggestions? I just recently bought the truck and it came with BFG Mud Terrains, so I'm averaging (hand calculated) 10.3 mpg with city/interstate mixed driving. At $3 a gallon, I've got to do whatever I can to increase the mileage.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

just talked to Bob at RCD and Iam going to order the 450 kit and do a dpe/doc delete my truck only has 1500 miles on it when it goes in to regen it runs bad and miles per gallon drop like crazy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.