New twist on an old question. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 05:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New twist on an old question.

Ok, decided to post this here instead of the General since it seems to be frequented by more knowledgeable people. We all know the 6.4 gets terrible mileage and we all know that they blame most of that on the dpf. It seems though that 90% of us that have deleted the dpf are still not seeing the mileage attainable by the 6.0 or the 6.7 in there stock forms (I know the 6.0 doesn't have a dpf just using it as a reference). So my question isn't how do we get better mpg....it's why does the 6.4 get terrible mileage? Whats so negative in this engines design?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2010, 06:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Truck weight kills the 08-10 Super Duty's. The 03-07 trucks were lighter, the motor was a little lighter, and the smaller displacement may provide better fuel mileage. The 6.7 gets good fuel mileage because of UREA, the trucks motor being lighter, and the truck itself being lighter.

I actually get really good fuel mileage in my truck. I try to keep my RPM's between 1800-2000 on the interstate and on my Proxes around town I get good fuel mileage. My truck probably weighs under 8,000 pounds with no spare and Toyo Proxes. Most 08-10 F-250's and SRW F-350's weigh 8200-8400 lbs. That is a killer in the fuel mileage department.

3.55 gears really help a lot of trucks also. Isn't that what you have in your 09 truck?
Old 12-08-2010, 02:54 AM
Serving Our Country!

Subscribing
Old 12-08-2010, 03:18 AM

Subscribing
Old 12-08-2010, 05:47 AM

Scribesubing.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:20 AM

I was wondering if the compound turbos had something to do with it. Or if the small inlet into the turbo might contribute to the poor mpgs.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:29 AM
Premium Member

The 2008-2010 are not very arrow dynamic. I notice speed will kill fuel mileage. 65, 70 mph is OK go above that, and the mileage drops. Also how fast you accelerate these 8000lb trucks. Try keeping the boost under 15 when accelerating.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:15 AM

You posted the exact same question i have been wondering about for awhile now . I was getting 17 mpg with my old 01 7.3 and the lure of 600 hp with a tuner and reports of guys grtting 18-20 mpg with them made me decide to pull the switch to get an 08 6.4 . Boy was i wrong , don't get me wrong i love my 08 but i hate the milege . it's my only vehical , so it's my do everything mode of transportation to and from work to pulling my skidsteer and hauling my quad around . I didn't know if the efficency of the motor was to blame or the weight of the truck (8200 lbs.)
Old 12-08-2010, 11:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.4turbo View Post
I was wondering if the compound turbos had something to do with it. Or if the small inlet into the turbo might contribute to the poor mpgs.
Typically the quicker spooling the setup, the better fuel mileage you get. However, these turbo's are not efficient at all in my opinion.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08stroker250 View Post
Typically the quicker spooling the setup, the better fuel mileage you get. However, these turbo's are not efficient at all in my opinion.
Jeff, Didn't I see somewhere where you were getting folks' input on interest in a custom-made oversized turbo or something along those lines? Maybe on another site? How'd that ever work out?

As far as mileage, I look at it like this:

My '03 durango got 13 in town, 17 on the interstate and 10 on the interstate pulling my band trailer.

My 08 f250, just about the same... But pulling the trailer is much higher. maybe 15 on the interstate.

The kicker is:
286ci = 230hp
391ci = 500ish?
And the get the same miles per gallon.

What sucks is that the fuel is more expensive and (correct me if I'm wrong) a LOWER QUALITY product of the petroleum distilling/refining process. Another thing that makes our mpg seem worse is the big fuel tanks. I filled up my durango once a week. Got the same mpg as I do now, but it had an 18 gallon tank. So the financial investment didn't APPEAR to be as great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.