Vacuum Pump Running too much... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2010, 03:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Vacuum Pump Running too much...

(posted this in "general" but as usual, less traffic there...)

I posted a question about a strange noise coming from under the dash on the driver's side and didn't get very far with it. Couldn't hear it over the engine noise with the door open, so I couldn't search for it. Today, I was loading a tune and when I keyed it "on", the noise started without the engine running, which was a first. So I open the hood and its the little vaccum pump. I considered that before, but it wasn't running when I was investigating. So while I loaded my tune, it ran the entire time. I traced the hose best I could, and couldn't find any obvious leaks.

There is a unit with vaccum lines on it right by the passenger side battery. I read something in an old thread about a VACUUM CANISTER. 1) Is there supposed to be a bottle on the bottom of that unit by the right battery? If so, that explains why the pump keeps running. I'm learning quite a bit about diesels and vehicles in general since I bought this truck, but never got much into vacuum stuff.

2) Should the pump really be THAT loud that I can hear it in the cab?
3) Also, what all does this vacuum pump control?

This is really driving me nuts. Someone please give me some info. Thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2010, 11:22 AM

Dang it. No one?

I think its for the hub-lock. And, I think either there is a leak somewhere OR there is a pressure switch not activating. Regardless, I would think it would not call for power/vacuum unless the 4WD was activated and the hubs needed locked...

Any thoughts yet? I need to know how this system works before I start tearing into it...
Old 12-06-2010, 03:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The first time i used the 4wd on mine I put it in, used it, put it back in 2wd, then could hear this same noise[vac pump] just for a sec. Then the next 2 or 3 times i started it the vaccum motor would run for 3 to 5 secs. I took it to the dealer they said i would hear from time to time the tech told me it sends vac to the 4wd and the heater controls swapping from defrost to floor and such. But the only time i ever hear it is when i use the 4wd ? Dont know if that helps you any
Old 12-06-2010, 05:16 PM

Thanks for your reply... Yeah, it runs way more than that.... curious thing though, I loaded STOCK NO DPF last night... Didn't notice the pump running today. (Hmmm). Got bored with no power quite quickly and loaded 250hp this evening. Went to town... no vacuum pump... This CAN'T be related to tuning in any way, could it???? I don't see how it could be...

We'll see tomorrow. Its always kind of random anyhow. But I can understand how it would run at startup, then occasionally to maintain negative pressure. FYI, I have no problems with my vents/def switching, or the 4wd engaging. I assume the hubs are locked- didn't check that deep yet.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah im like you I don't see how tuning would make it run. If it was a small leak it should have some consistency to it.wouldn't you think ? Those pumps make alot of noise for no bigger then they are
Old 12-07-2010, 08:50 AM

MYSERY SOLVED!

There is a bundle of wires that goes from what I think is the hublock selenoid (PA66-GF33), which also detects vacuum and turns the pump on and off. Well, whoever owned this rig before me, was pi$$ing around under the hood and didn't push the plastic wire retainer/fastener thing into the hole in the fan shroud, so the wires were hanging slack. AND rubbing on one of the engine pulleys. Whenever the bare wire grounds out to the pulley, it starts the pump.

Dang. Glad that's over with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.