Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

best spartan tune for towing heavy

12K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  jkidd_39 
#1 ·
what tunes does everyone run i tow heavy usally around 20,000 lbs so far i have towed on 210 and 210 towing the normal 210 perduced better fuel milage which was around 9mpg i have also towed around 15k on 250 tune the converter did not like it my truck also has 4.88 gears need some input who tows heavy what tune do u like and gives u best mpg

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I use the standard 210 as well, and also tow VERY heavy at times. Definitely past rated capacity.

#4 ·
I understand that the 210 TP is made for towing, but unloaded the shifting is brutal! Is there any reason why using the regular 210 for towing heavy isn't a good idea? Just curious as that's the tune I always use :dunno:

#5 ·
i get better fuel milage on reg 210 tranny temps never get over 190 egts might hit 1100 when accelerating or on a up hill grade only difference i see is fuel mileage between the 2 has anyone else tried or like another tune more

#7 ·
I thought that the safeties were built in all of the tunes below 250? What different safety settings exist between the 210 regular/tow? I have never pulled over 10,000 with the 210 regular, but always liked the shifting/performance...Am I messing up (always use t/h)? Isn't the line pressure in the 210 regular higher than stock? Sorry about all of the questions.

#9 ·
They are, but the 210 tow has earlier engine fan settings for coolant and oil temps. :thumb:

Jeff,

Is one were pulling let's say 5klbs; what would the ideal tune be to run w/the spartan? I don't want neck jarring shifts....
You could tow 5K with the the regular 210. :thumb:

#10 ·
I hope you can tow more than 5k with the regular 210, because I've towed well over 20k pounds with it :hehe:

#12 ·
I've towed 11k with the 210 and the 210 tow. The 210 tow shifts were absolutely bone jarring and shudderring. The shifts were so firm that I ended up switching back the the regular 210.

From then I have always used the regular 210 when towing. (always same load - 11k)

#13 ·
I was towing 20k (30k gross) in my 250 spartan. I would say the 210tp can handle anything you can throw at it.

It took a 28k lb load to finally pop the HG's..and that was in 250 tune..

Elite studs and Elite's EGR delete w/ wastegate and i'm good to go.. and I'm running KEM tunes now.. 210tp.. is much smoother comparably..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.