h&s and exhaust? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 11-30-2010, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
h&s and exhaust?

im looking to put a h&s tuner in my 08. my understanding is that no modifications need to be done to the factory exhaust for it to run properly, as it can "turn off" the sensors in the factory exhaust. my concern though is the factory exhaust to restrictive to run a 250hp file? will temps get out of control? i dont have any desire to squeeze every last horsepower out of the motor, make it loud or spend a bunch of money on a full turbo back exhaust. what are my options here? is an intake going to be required also? i read of filter minders in the factory housing coming apart under boost. thanks.
mikeym is offline  
post #2 of 5 Old 11-30-2010, 08:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
MD05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Port Tobacco MD
Posts: 544
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I did a H&S Mini and a Flo Pro downpipe back system.

Loud.... No

More rumble.... Yes

Lower EGTs.... Hell yes

Running the mild tune on an F450 with 4.30 gears driving the speed limit getting 17.5mpg vs the before of 12-13mpg.

Cost 1400 bucks.

Net difference 612miles to 35 gallons vs 437 miles to 35 gallons, and no more washing the cylinders with raw fuel on the exahust stroke. Driveability is way up as well.

Down side if you have to have the DOC/DPF for state inspection.... need to save em and reinstall once a year.

2008 F450 King Ranch 4X4
H&S Tunes
5" down pipe back exahust
4.30 L/S gears
AFE CAI
265/70R19.5 Michelins
Pure performance 4 link front suspension
Kelderman Air-Ride
FASS fuel filter
PTP EGR Delete
Train Horns under the front bumper
2013 Radio/Nav/sync upgrade


494Rwhp/975ftlbs......

MD05 is offline  
post #3 of 5 Old 11-30-2010, 01:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
DSTRBD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,374
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym View Post
im looking to put a h&s tuner in my 08. my understanding is that no modifications need to be done to the factory exhaust for it to run properly, as it can "turn off" the sensors in the factory exhaust. my concern though is the factory exhaust to restrictive to run a 250hp file? will temps get out of control? i dont have any desire to squeeze every last horsepower out of the motor, make it loud or spend a bunch of money on a full turbo back exhaust. what are my options here? is an intake going to be required also? i read of filter minders in the factory housing coming apart under boost. thanks.
Yes, the H&S unit will keep the sensors happy, but you will need to remove the DPF in order to run the race files. You can run the regular files with the stock exhaust, but you are going to be limited to 120 HP. If you want to run the race files, I highly suggest getting a DPF/Cat delete setup at the very least. A full down pipe back exhaust isnt absolutely necessary, but it will do a better job of lowering EGTs. As far as an intake goes, I always recommend them with a delete kit. You can get by without one, but they definitely help with throttle response as well as overall efficiency. If you have any questions, feel free to give me a holler.



ICON Vehicle Dynamics | S&B Intakes | MBRP Exhaust | American Force Wheels | Diamond Eye | AFE Intakes | Carli Suspension | Industrial Injection | Garrett Turbos | FASS | Method Wheels | Bilstein Shocks | Airdog | KMC Wheels | Spartan | RSouth Bend Clutch | SCT | Edge Products | ATS Diesel | Bullydog | BMF Wheels | AMP Research | & much more....

DSTRBD is offline  
post #4 of 5 Old 11-30-2010, 05:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 
KB3MMX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 97
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD05 View Post
I did a H&S Mini and a Flo Pro downpipe back system.

Loud.... No

More rumble.... Yes

Lower EGTs.... Hell yes

Running the mild tune on an F450 with 4.30 gears driving the speed limit getting 17.5mpg vs the before of 12-13mpg.

Cost 1400 bucks.

Net difference 612miles to 35 gallons vs 437 miles to 35 gallons, and no more washing the cylinders with raw fuel on the exahust stroke. Driveability is way up as well.

Down side if you have to have the DOC/DPF for state inspection.... need to save em and reinstall once a year.

True but the other option for cheap and still quiet is to gut the internals of the DPF&CAT on the stock system, then unplug the sensors and run the DPF free race file.
KB3MMX is offline  
post #5 of 5 Old 11-30-2010, 07:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
j21black's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 685
Thanks: 6
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB3MMX View Post
True but the other option for cheap and still quiet is to gut the internals of the DPF&CAT on the stock system, then unplug the sensors and run the DPF free race file.
I would not recommend doing this. While it can be done, if you ever need a DPF, you are looking big out of pocket money to get one. If you ever have a reason to return it back to stock, you will always be in Regen mode.

Just by a down pipe back exhaust. You can get one in the $400 range, and Nate can hook you up.
j21black is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome