About to have ARP studs installed. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2010, 07:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
About to have ARP studs installed.

Hey guys. The truck's at the dealer needing head gaskets. I'm supplying them with ARP studs in place of the stock crap. Does anyone know the tensile strength of the stock studs by chance? I know the ARP's T-strength is stated to be around 220,000psi. Thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2010, 08:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I heard the stock ones were also 220,000 tensile strength.....and I also heard that tensile strength doesn't matter.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Hmmm....I wonder then, exacty what metalurgic property is responsible for resisting necking or the stretching in the studs, which ultimately causes the heads to lift. I'd be interested to hear what does matter if tensile strength doesn't.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

There is a good discussion thread over on PSN in the 6.4L Aftermarket forum that is all about ARP studs vs. Elite H-11 studs. I can't remember what the title of the thread is, but the "search" function should help you out.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:39 PM
<<< 6.4 Powersmoke

Did you blow your Head Gaskets with the 310 tune?
Old 11-27-2010, 04:52 PM

Man I am putting the elite diesel towing twins this week on my truck I ask garret at elite if I needed to the same thing cause of the tunes and stuff I had done he said no until you have professional sled pulling power the stock head studs are good as to what garret at elite says!!!
Old 11-27-2010, 05:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Head BOLTS (factory) can't be torqued to the same number as head STUDS. More torque on the heads = tighter seal on the gaskets = less likely to blow.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbolt View Post
Man I am putting the elite diesel towing twins this week on my truck I ask garret at elite if I needed to the same thing cause of the tunes and stuff I had done he said no until you have professional sled pulling power the stock head studs are good as to what garret at elite says!!!
He told you that their tow power turbo's will work without head studs or an EGR delete w/wastegate? That sounds a little far fetched to me.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:19 PM
Premium Member

It's not about tensile strength, or the amount of torque put on them.

It's about fatigue. Tensile strength is how much it takes to actually break them in two. Fatigue is the amount of "stretch" a bolt allows before failing.

ARP's studs allow much less of this stretching to occur and it's all about the metalurgic properties of that specific fastener. When a head gasket blows, most times it doesn't actually break the studs, the stud just stretches and allows the explosive gasses to get under the head.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Dieselkane, The intital leak occured when running the 310. I'd been running the 210 for almost a year with no problems and had just recently retuned with the 310. At first I had a very small leak, visible only by a small stain on the driveway. I took it to the dealer and they said it was the radiator. That was replaced on my dime and on the way home with the new $1150.00 , I lost at least a gallon of coolant on the 10 mile trip. I called again, they sent a tech to my house to look and make sure he didn't F/U something. nothing was found while he was here. The tech drove the truck back to the shop and a few days later i was told that it was the head gaskets. I am having the old radiator pressure tested by a third party, assuming I payed for a radiator replacement that wasn't needed. Still waiting to hear on that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.