It feels like a different truck! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2010, 07:00 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It feels like a different truck!

This past saturday I climbed under the truck and Ill be damned if my exhaust didn't fall off Luckily, I had a replacement in the garage. After some cussing and some work with the hammer I "repaired" my exhaust. Holy smokes - the difference is huge! I am running an SCT with KEM's 250 - I took my pipes to have the sensor bungs welded and had Mike write the tune to bypass the sensors - made the "fix" quite a bit easier. I am lucky that my old man has done well for himself and likes his sports cars - I have driven Vipers and ZO6's - he is now on a ZR1 - I say this for this comparison: this 8500 pound truck is more fun than that ZR1 - a truck this big/heavy should not be able to move like it does now.

I have no idea on the mileage as of yet - I need to keep my foot out of it
I'll be honest though - I do get a little nervous each time I put my foot in it - slightly nervous about HG but really just in disbelief that these trucks can make such big power off of a "simple" tune.

Now, I do have a few questions for those that are tuned.
-Idle - mine is at about 900RPM's - is that normal because it wears my right leg out keeping my foot on the break at a light.
- I have always referred to it as the "engine rollover" when you shut the truck off it feels like the motor is rolling in the engine bay - I don't have that anymore it shuts off like a gasser - doesn't bother me either way.
- When using CC set at 40 -45 it will not maintain a constant RPM but accelerate then RPM's fall off like they would when you take your foot off the throttle then it will immediatley rev back up to maintain spedd - on a perfectly flat road it is not a problem but those are few most roads have some sort of incline to it so the truck is constantly revving up and letting off -does that make sense?

Last thing is my boost gauge - it constantly reads 1-2lbs - it never rests on the "0" line even at idle - I am guessing that has something to do with the idle being 900 RPM's?

Other than those issues the tune is great and I am hoping when I can keep my foot out of it that I see an increase in mpg's - we shall see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2010, 05:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yes the idle is hi. Mine is around 650-700. The deal with the RPMs is the T/C is not locked up. I think with the 250 it locks around 50 mph. Talk to Mike and see if he can change it. My KEM 310 locks up between 43 & 45 when taking it easy. The boost gage always reads 1-2 lbs. boost. Do you have a cold air intake? If not you mite want to get one the S & B is real good for the money and you will pick up 1-2 mpg. Ask Mike about that idle.
-Mike
Old 11-23-2010, 06:34 AM

We are both scratching our heads at this point - downloaded the SCT performance tune - same high idle - I plugged in all sensors - did not/can not install them in the exhaust pipe but I plugged them in and no difference in idle. Ill have to wait and see what Mike thinks.

I do need to get a CAI - I hate having to constantly reset the air filter guage - and it's surprising how little throttle it takes to set that thing off.

Edit: Putting the truck back to stock and I am going to take it in and see if the dealer can find anything wrong. This sucks

Last edited by chongo; 11-23-2010 at 06:59 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yes somethings not right. Thats a pain but it is best thing to do. After its back to stock check for codes and clear everything then wait for a regen for you take it in. That way if they run a scan everything looks good. If they ask any questions tell them you unhooked the batteries to clen them.
-Mike
Old 11-23-2010, 09:40 AM

I am wondering why it would idle high after tuning but I can return to stock tune with deletes in place and start it and it idles like stock - 600-650 range?

I am just trying to exhaust all efforts before doing the wrench work again.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:13 AM

Nevermind - returning to stock is a PITA that flange forward of the cat is a pain to get to.

Last edited by chongo; 11-23-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chongo View Post
Nevermind - returning to stock is a PITA that flange forward of the cat is a pain to get to.
Are the sensors hooked back in the pipe when you returned it back to stock?
Old 11-23-2010, 11:31 AM

Nope - which was the problem - I talked to JR and he helped me out.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I am glad he got you all taken care of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.