Cold Starts - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2010, 11:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cold Starts

Possibly a silly or even 'basic' question, but I have to ask...

How long do you guys let your trucks warm up in the morning? Not concerned about getting the heater warm, but to get the juices flowing. This truck has to last me a LONG, L-O-N-G time and I'm sure tuning is a little harder on it than running it stock.

It doesn't get THAT cold here, rarely in the teens, usually hovers around freezing in the winter months, but I always wonder how long I should let it run. Today it was about 37, and I let it run for maybe 60 seconds and seemed to run rough and had alot of extra chatter. - Prompted me to post this question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2010, 11:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I won't drive mine until my trans fluid temp is up to at least 75. Usually by then, ECT and EOT are close to 100. From there it doesn't take them long to get completely up to operating temp once the truck is driven.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:45 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Same here. I'll let it idle until it's around 100 degrees. Then take it easy until engine reaches higher temps. With a tuned engine, they tend to run like crap when cold.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:19 PM

I hit my remote start as I am grabbing my stuff to leave the house which gives it about 5 minutes, sometimes less sometimes more. But it hasnt gotten cold yet either.
I have a block heater wired but it says you should wait at least 60 seconds before tarting AFTER unplugging the heater so I am going to put a timer on it to shut off about 15 mins before i would ever crank it. I only use the heater if its below freezing which isnt often in louisiana.
Everytime I start the truck I remote start as I am going to leave work so it gets at LEAST a minute or so mid day or evening, usually more. I don't want it so long that it reaches the excessive idleing mark either.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

You don't need a block heater on these trucks unless you get below 0 degrees Fahrenheit. They have zero issues cranking in extreme cold (32 down to 0) unless the batteries are weak.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:45 PM

I start it up and take right off. I drive it very very easy though. My ect this morning was 44 when I put her in drive. I think its just a waste of fuel to let it sit and idle. as long as you drive it extremly easy til it warms up. I dont think there will be an issue. I may be wrong though. im no expert.....
Old 11-16-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Beauty View Post
I start it up and take right off. I drive it very very easy though. My ect this morning was 44 when I put her in drive. I think its just a waste of fuel to let it sit and idle. as long as you drive it extremly easy til it warms up. I dont think there will be an issue. I may be wrong though. im no expert.....
I do the same thing just in warm weather. Here lately I have turn it on and let it idle to warm up the engine plus to warm the inside of the truck. I have to take my kids to school and they hate riding in a cold truck.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:10 PM

Your to nice. That'l make them tough ridin in a cold truck!
Old 11-16-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Beauty View Post
Your to nice. That'l make them tough ridin in a cold truck!
Well maybe when they are a little bit older I might be tougher on them but they are only 5 & 6 years old.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

It's easier to stretch head bolts when the motor is cold from what I have heard, but that would only hold true if you beat on your truck before it gets up to operating temp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.