Crazy MPG gain claims here. Who isn't seeing them? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 05:35 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Crazy MPG gain claims here. Who isn't seeing them?

I get tired of seeing the outrageous claims made here all the time. To be fair, maybe guys really are getting 17-20 MPG, huge increases (5 MPG or more), etc.

I'd like to hear from the guys that are seeing the same thing as myself. I don't see squat for increases. Maybe, 1-2 MPG or something, if that. It does seem like the gains should be more than that but it's not happening here.

Maybe I should get my truck lifted, run 35's, etc. [/sarcasm]

Amazing to see some of the numbers thrown out here. I know too many people in my area (now) and from my own experience to believe everything I read here.

Sorry, just had to vent. I really wanted to see substantial gains in the MPG department. That was the driving factor for my tuning decision to begin with. Had I seen a few guys posting what I'm posting I sure would have thought twice about the tuning business. Instead, all I see is unreal claims of MPG gains.

Anyone else in my shoes (and willing to admit it here!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2010, 05:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i am like you, i have only seen about 2mpg difference. maybe the guys getting 7-8mpg are trusting the lie-o-meter.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Iam only seeing 1-2 on the intersate and basically nothing around town. I do have 35's and a lift though.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to nccatfan
I didn't really see much gain with my chip either. But I DID gain plenty of power and no loss of MPG. So with at least that, I can be happy with having more bang for the buck! lol

Oops... just noticed this was a 6.4L thread .

Last edited by nccatfan; 11-09-2010 at 06:13 AM.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010PSD View Post
Sorry, just had to vent. I really wanted to see substantial gains in the MPG department. That was the driving factor for my tuning decision to begin with. Had I seen a few guys posting what I'm posting I sure would have thought twice about the tuning business. Instead, all I see is unreal claims of MPG gains.
Then sell your truck and buy a 4 cylinder car. I mean seriously, your complaining about not getting GREAT fuel mileage in 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. These trucks are either one of two things for most people...work trucks or luxury vehicles, and in both cases good mpg is just a plus.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by white07 View Post
Then sell your truck and buy a 4 cylinder car. I mean seriously, your complaining about not getting GREAT fuel mileage in 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. These trucks are either one of two things for most people...work trucks or luxury vehicles, and in both cases good mpg is just a plus.
That's a poor and worn out analogy here (sell your truck and buy a 4 cylinder car) or something similar. I have cars that get good mileage, poor mileage, and in between. That's not the point.

I really liked the idea of having a heavy truck and getting better (way better supposedly) mileage. Always been a fan of diesels anyway (going way back). The trucks shouldn't get "great mileage" and I really wouldn't expect them to. That said; all I see/hear around this forum is awesome mileage gains, etc.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:24 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I dont think anybody is complaining home boy. Just stating what kind of mpg's we are seeing with our spartan tunes and wondering why some are getting crazy numbers in the high teens and low 20's
Old 11-09-2010, 06:30 AM

Well I never hand calculated my mileage before I installed the Spartan stuff but the lieometer said I was averaging about 12. After the delete and tuner was installed I hand calculate 15 to 16mpg on the highway.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:35 AM

I mean, it's a 8,000lb+ truck, it's a work truck, I drive it in 4x4 up steep grades (see sig), I tow 6-8,000 lbs fairly regular and I'm happy with the 11mpg that I'm getting in stock trim, lol. I was getting 14mpg in my old F-150 unloaded and less than 10 loaded. Now matter how I drive my truck (loaded/unloaded) I'm seeing a 11mpg. I was seeing 12mpg until I put my 35" Trail Grapplers on. I just hate this stupid 25 gallon stock tank. I'm debating on tuning, or getting a Titan 47gallon tank. Getting under 300miles to the tank sometimes is just plain out stupid, IMO. Why didn't Ford put at least a 36-40 gallon tank on these trucks!?
Old 11-09-2010, 06:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Sorry your not seeing big gains. I've been tuned for about 5 thousand miles now stock 18's 3/4 ton cc/sb. This tank which has been all empty 95% hwy at 60-62 I got 520 miles on the tank. I have never gotten more that 27.5gal in the tank so that calculates too 19mpg I'm happy as hell. Milage goes down quite a bit if you do any city driving at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.