Newbie with questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2010, 04:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newbie with questions

I recently bought a 2008 CCSB 6.4 (job 2 - 10/2007) that has Spartan 250 Tune with DD, DFP delete but stock muffler and down pipe and AFE intake. It has 63k on it and has been tuned since about 40k. It runs great and I am happy with it so far.
My questions are :
1. Whenever I let out of it (even slowly)with any boost I get a Whoosh/squeal
noise from the turbo. Is this just the pressure escaping out of the turbo or possibly a leak somewhere?( it builds boost fine). Also when I shut it down (I wait until the EGT is 400 or less) the turbo makes some fan noise. I found on this site that this maybe due to the AFE intake?What kind of turbo noise are others getting with the AFE intake?

2. Should I worry about the EGR valve sticking as the 250 tune has been run the whole time it has been tuned. I read the 250 only cycles the EGR at idle.

3. It appears the radiator is just starting to leak at the lower seam. I read the TSB about the EOT vs. ECT differiential and bad t-stats. Mine is usually 2 or 3 degrees difference so I think the t-stats are fine. If I return to it stock will the warranty cover the radiator since so many have leaked.

I tried to read up on the 6.4 as much as I can but any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I run the AFE intake and it definately makes the turbo easier to hear. If I let off the throttle quickly with boost I hear what is referred to as a turbo fart. Which is air being forced back through the turbo. I've never heard it squeal though and would imagine that to be a bad thing.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

1. That is compressor surge.

2. Run a lower tune, like the 175 for a couple of hours once every week or two.

3. Yes, if you return the truck to stock they should replace the radiator. That is if the truck has warranty left, which I am assuming it does since it has 63,000 miles on it.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:15 AM

My truck is also a Job 2 (11/2007) and I had a leak in the same spot. The dealership said they had a recall on the radiators due to a valve problem. They replaced the radiator without any issues, not problems since.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the quick replies.

The turbo noise kind of bugs me. I can hear it wind or flutter down inside the cab sometimes when I shut it down and the squeal from the boost let down is hard to get used to. Would swapping to the closed type S&B
intake kill the turbo noise?
I will try to load up one of the lower tunes to cycle the EGR. Maybe I,ll just stick with a lower tune to avoid problems.
I am dreading putting the DPF/CAT back on ,changing the air intake and loading the stock tune to take it to the dealer. One dealer I called said they would only cover the radiator if the t-stats proved to be the problem. This sounds like BS to me after hearing about all these radiators leaking in the same spots. If a do all the work putting it back to stock and they still don't cover it I won't be happy. I'll try to call another dealer next week.
The guy I bought it from is a friend and said it has never been back to the dealer since he bought it new.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:31 AM

There was an actual recall (I believe) back in late 08' or so concerning this. Mine was replaced a few months earlier before the recall. That said, look into it more (some one on here will correct me or explain the recall) and tell them to warranty your dam radiator.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:08 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
ok, i have a job 1 08 and i had to take it in for a leaky radiator. there was a recall on them about a year and a half ago for this. but all it was, was something they added on to the radiators to try and fix this, not replacing the radiators. i took mine in with about 43k on it, and i was told the radiators are only covered under the 36k warranty. the only way that they could replace the radiator under warranty is if the thermostats were bad. that way they could replace the radiator under "causal damage". i know this isnt great news, but this is the same thing i went through.

it still wouldnt hurt to take it in. have them check out the thermostats. and i took mine in after it was tuned. just put the stock exhaust and intake back on and load the stock tune back.

luckily, i told the guy to call me before they did anything cause i wanted to know if i was going to be out money before they just did anything. well he went back to check on the truck, and his techs had already replaced it without asking him about it. and since i told them not to do that, they went ahead and replaced all of the thermostats so it would be under warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.