Need help with Minimaxx setup - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2010, 12:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need help with Minimaxx setup

Can anyone explain when downloading tuning from the H&S website what you guys are choosing. THe hot damn download for example, whats the difference between "firm" shift or choosing "race?" And what is the "lockup" speed. I want it to be driveable in town so what would I choose. It comes with the mild already downloaded. Is the Hot damn worth downloading? Im seriously close to purchasing the the Mini maxx but want to make sure I know what im getting in to. Also as a side note anyone with the mini maxx just using the OBD as the power source or did you connect to the purple wire under the dash? Lastly, when they say you have to relearn the trans, will it hurt to drive a couple of miles to the interstate to do it or do i need to relearn immediately. Back roads around here no way i can get to 80mph. Anything Eelse im missing before I purchase? One more thing, what about towing my camper with this? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2010, 12:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Firm means they will be quick and has the potential to give a little kick, race means hold on because it will slam from gear to gear. Lockup is when the torque converter stops slipping, earlier lockups can give you better mileage. The hot damn tune is a step above mild, a rather noticeable step, but it(egts) gets hot pretty quick. And as for towing with the HS tunes, keep an eye on your egts and kick down a power level if they get to high.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

so what speed would you choose for lockup in the firm shifting? And I would have no issue towing if I set it down to the lowest power setting of 80? Mainly I just want to ditch the regen process while towing. I have plenty of power stock to tow my 8000k TT. thanks
Old 10-30-2010, 01:08 PM

If I remember correctly, the default is around 50mph, and most people are fine with that. The best thing to do would be simple trial and error testing for what you like best. You should be able to tow in nearly all power levels aslong as you keep an eye on your EGTs, but the safest bet would be one of the lower tunes.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

so you can download multiple "scenarios" not just one? It would be nice to have a tune that was for pure performance just to mess around with and another for every day driving. Thanks for the help, I think you have answered alot of my questions
Old 10-30-2010, 08:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yes on the purple capped wire under the dash. I followed the directions on the DVD, but with only two days under my belt....what do I do to make my shifts smoother?????? Pretty harsh right now. Love the "lockkup" icon on my screen. I will be towing 18K 5er in Tow/Haul. Posted this question earlier today. Now I can't find any responses to it((
Old 10-31-2010, 12:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

anymore advice from H&S users
Old 10-31-2010, 06:19 PM

I run HS black max with Hot Damn, firm shifting and 45 mph lock up. Have about 20 k on it now and very happy with all. Shifts a little hard on light throttle but otherwise spot on. Got back today from a 5 hr trip from Manchester VT to Portland Me thru the mountains then 75 mph for 2 hrs on 95 and I got 18.4 mpg hand calculated. Very pleased. Hauls slide in camper with ease. Go ahead and do it!! shift on the fly is great. JIM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.