Decided to Tune, I Think - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2010, 06:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Decided to Tune, I Think

Moderators...please delete this post.

Last edited by tjbrowder; 11-04-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2010, 12:17 AM

Gonna watch this one simply because I am considering the same thing and I moved to Texas recently. (mine is out of warranty though)

FWIW, I went to a Diesel get together a few months ago and asked about the inspections. The feedback that I got was that 9 places out of 10 will pass you because they just look at the OBDII for check engine codes and not whether you have the DPF and DOC on the truck. If they don't, go to another place for inspection.

I will be curious to see if other TX members chime in....
Old 10-30-2010, 12:30 AM
shhhhh, can you hear it?

not from tx and also i havent installed my stuff yet....that being said.....
most people i have talked to either know someone or put it back on (thirty mins work once you get the hang of it) but ill let them chime in,and its the same for warranty work as well from what i have seen.that is my plan.
as far as the relearn goes,you can read the install instructions on h&s website.it says that you do a 1/2 throttle, 3/4, and full throttle runs to learn the transmission.after that its shift on the fly.h&s is very customer friendly and will help you with anything.ive seen a few guys say the power is awesome but the mpg is lacking on their expectations.i think most of it is how you drive,what the truck is used for,and also what other mpg mods you have.im sure more poeple will chime in but hopefully i have helped in some small inkling.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

You have probably already read this but this was my initial response after doing exactly what you have suggested: MPG stats

For me, absolutely no regrets. Honestly, I realize now it was a no-brainer. I usually trade vehicles about every 2 years since I put about 40k on one per year but I can actually see myself driving this truck for a LONG while! It's comfortable to drive, roomy and at 52, it makes me feel like a kid again whenever I do get into the throttle.

You also have the same thought I did regarding the regen. It simply doesn't make sense. I have to think it was a knee jerk reaction to the up-coming EPA mandate. It lasted 3 years with manufactures and that was it (what they have now ain't much better but does remove destroying the engine in the process).

One last item, if you do go with H&S, get the Flo-Pro DOC/DPF delete. That way you can leave the sensors intact and simply bolt it right back up if need be. You've probably heard it 100 times here but when you do buy, call Nate at Performance Truck Products. He will give you a deal that will knock your socks off, before the truck does after tuning...

Sig
Old 10-30-2010, 06:04 AM

Thanks for the quick replies, gents.

I purchased the truck knowing that the fuel economy was poor, so that was a calculated decision.

I also knew the 08-10 models have the regen to clean the dpf, but thought I could deal with it. However, after being an owner of this cutting edge technology, I have decided to no longer live with it.

Thanks for the transmission re learn info.....much clearer now after finding it on H&S' site.

Also, dig some digging on the TXDOT website....motorcycles and diesels do not require a smog test in the state of Texas. Only safety and usual OBDII hookup.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:25 AM

subscribed
Old 10-30-2010, 07:26 AM

ill help you out with a bump
Old 10-30-2010, 08:10 PM
I wanna go fast!

never had an issue getting an inspection sticker in texas....

and there is no OBDII plugin either
Old 10-30-2010, 08:13 PM
I wanna go fast!

where are you moving to in texas?
Old 10-30-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbrowder View Post
Has anyone done a dpf delete, and then ended up regretting it?.....not so much the initial investment....more like the tune was not to your expectations, or, "I got tuned and blew my truck up."
There's actually been a number of posts, not as many as the positive but a number of posts where the owner wasn't happy with the results they received. Most seems to see an improvement of 4-6 mpg. Whereas some others only 1-3 like that of a DPF friendly tune.

Quote:
Warranty....anyone take your truck in for, say, an alternator, and left your tune on? Get any grief? I can understand a catastrophic failure ("she done blowed up"), but how about the minor warranty issues and your dealership's response?
Those that do revert back to stock condition. If you don't, it will be like playing Russian Roulette warranty. A Ford representative can show up at any time and look at any vehicle within their garage. If they see you missing your DPF or that your tuned you will be hassled.

Quote:
Finally....to the folks in Texas. When your state inspection sticker is due, do you simply re-install the dpf and put the stock tune on before going in?
I'm not from Texas, but for any inspection, it might be best just to revert back to fully stock or have federally approved components on your vehicle or risk a failure or hassle.

Quote:
Thanks for ya'lls time.
Good luck with your decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.