Spartan vs Kem vs H&S Trans Tuning - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2010, 03:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Spartan vs Kem vs H&S Trans Tuning

Ok i am looking at doing a tuner and want some feed back on who has the best trans tuning for using 250 and under tunes. And the only reason i said Spartan, Kem, and H&S are because i want to use a dash daq or maybe a black max for gauges. I know they all have good full throttle shifts but it's the 1/4-1/2 throttle shifts i am worried about when my truck is used as a DD.

Spartan seems to have hard shifts above 210. How are the lesser tunes?

Kem not a lot known ?

H&S seem to have good shifting.

And when is a tcm a good idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2010, 05:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The 210 Spartan Tune on my truck engages 2 and 3 pretty hard under normal easy driving but it's not THAT big of a deal, if you manipulate the throttle you can get the shifts too smooth out a bit.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:09 PM

Do not get the Spartan tunes. The shifts are horrible and the tranny feels like its going to fall out.

I just got a 250 custom tune from mike at KEM (recommended by another forum member) and my truck is running like a dream now. Great power, and perfect shifting. I assure you that you will not be disappointed!
Old 10-29-2010, 08:21 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I had the Spartan and now the H&S and the Spartan was fairly hard shifting plus quite a few rev/slam shifts. I have the H&S on the hot damn tune with race shifting firm but smooth no misses just all around better IMHO! i did run all the big Spartan tunes mainly the 250 and 310 tried the 275 and thought the trans was coming out even with the tcm. I will be getting some kem tunes for the H&S as soon as they are ready i am sure things will only get better!
Chris
Old 10-29-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroke4Fun View Post
I will be getting some kem tunes for the H&S as soon as they are ready i am sure things will only get better!
Chris
Same here can't wait
Old 10-29-2010, 10:33 PM
shhhhh, can you hear it?

there is a rumor that kem tunes will be able to be used on black and mini maxx so you could essentially have both tunes on one tuner and decide what you like the best.just putting out the info.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

From the horses mouth KEMS mini max and/or black will be available NOV. 8th.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:02 AM

I heard the 1st but it's not Mike he was waiting on firmware from H&S to get things rolling even so a week dont matter! I would not see why you could not tune the mini and the black maxx with the same tunes i think all H&S tuners now use the same tuning atleast from them!
Chris
Old 10-30-2010, 06:46 AM

Ive had my spartan tuner for I think close to a year now running only the 250 tune and it shifts better than stock. Drives like it should straight from the factory. I did purchase a KEM 310 tune a few months ago nad used it for a week before I was fed up with the rough shifting, it was bugging the hell out of me and anyone driving with me thought my truck was messed up. Spartan 250 is the way to go for a DD imo, I thought stepping up to the bigger tune for a DD would be cool but it was a big waste of my $$$.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:22 AM

Those of you with the black max how do you like it as a display and those of you who came from the dash daq to the black max witch one did you like better? I am leaning towards a dash daq with some kem tunes.

Does anybody know if spartan will change there trans shifting to make it softer if you want it that way? or is it a take or leave it kind of tune?

It's just that i had a DP tuner and a built trans on my 7.3 and jody could adjust the tune to my liking and made it shift firm not hard. So thats what i am looking for in this truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.