Power loss at WOT - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2010, 07:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Power loss at WOT

I run the Spartan 250 all the time. I am a pretty mellow driver, looking for mileage mostly, but on a rare occasion like to put the heel to the steel. I noticed the other day (and several times prior) that once I floor it, it runs badass for a bit, and then has this noticable loss in power for half a second, then usually takes off again. It is defueling? Is the HPFP not feeding it enough? I used to have a Bullydog PMT while I still had the DPF and CAT, and its a similar feeling to when it was Defueling (Bullydog had a message that said "DEFUELING" when it was actually happening)

I was under the impression that the 250 tune didn't have any safety parameters built in. If so, that's OK I guess, but I just want to know if something is F-ed up with the truck.

Should I make a log file or something to see what's happening with fuel commands and hpfp pressure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2010, 08:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

There are no safety parameters set in to the 250 tune. Is this something you are feeling on top end, or going through the gears?
Old 10-28-2010, 09:41 AM

Going through the gears I think. Surely not at top speed. But it doesn't feel like transmission. It definetly feels like I let off the accelerator slightly, then resume. I'd call it a hiccup, or a stutter.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:30 AM

Mine does the exact same thing, but only within the first few minutes of being on the road. Once it does it once, it won't do it again till I turn the truck off and start it back up again. Very strange, and I'm only running a smaller street tune from Innovative...
Old 10-28-2010, 11:00 AM

Is it just the defuel on the shift? how long does it last? Ive never tried my 250 tune before but ill go try and see if mine does the same thing...
Old 10-28-2010, 11:17 AM

Nah, its for sure between shifts. After TripleE44's post, I got to wondering if maybe it was still cold when I was hogging on it. That may have something to do with it.

I drove the Harley today (getting a bit cold for that..) but I think next time I have the truck out, I'm going to set up a log file, crank it up a time or two and see if I can catch a fluxuation in any of the parameters. Maybe that will explain what I'm feeling.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:31 AM

My rcd 485 was doing this as well. It would pull like a raped ape then all of a sudden it would feel like it lost all power, the tranny would shift to top gear and it will keep going. I was told that my tranny was slipping 5th gear because of too much torque and i needed a new tranny. The first time it happend i though I blew up my motor.

It was the easist fix ever....pull the cover off your airbox and try again. Turns out that even with my AFE drop in air filter I was still starving the truck. Even though the filterminder would never move it still wasnt enough air.

Give it a go. I run without my cover on now and it is like driving a whole new truck!!! Turbo spools quicker, and the whistle is pretty bad *** and it sounds like i have a blowoff valve when i let off the throttle now or when the truck shifts and the boost drops.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:57 AM

That's an interesting thought, my truck came with an air raid intake, and I always wondered if it was even doing it's job.... Wondering if it's time to clean or just get new intake all together....?
Old 10-29-2010, 11:56 AM

its worth a try. My filter has 10,000kms on it all highway and it still does it...but it was the box not the filter restricting me. Hope you figure it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.