HD tranny thread, What are you guys putting under your trucks? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2010, 06:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
HD tranny thread, What are you guys putting under your trucks?

I was just wondering what everyone is doing and whos trannies they are using when theres have had enough? I know suncoast has always been good, I put one in my last truck and it rocked but I thought I read somewhere that they werent lasting very long under these trucks when they first came out? (or maybe Im dreaming I read that). Who else if anyone is making a good tranny? Mine is starting to get there, its not dead yet but its in the not so distant future so Im just trying to get a feel for who I should be looking at. I also plan on switching to the spartan TCM at the same time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2010, 07:50 AM

Don't bother with a spartan TCM. Will only cause you problems with an upgraded trans.

The suncoasts have been holding up great, the problems were with the billet intermediate shaft they were selling I think.

I ordered a elite fully built trans last week (Extra clutch packs, Billet Input Shaft, Billet Low Reverse Hub, Billet Overdrive Planetary, Billet Flexplate SFI) and a suncoast converter. Should be going in after sema when my cab comes off again to put on the elite replacement line and finish my cab off. I'll let you know how I like it.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
why will the spartan TCM cause issues with an upraded trans? Increase line pressure to much or...? Im not going to complain about not having to buy it but just curious. Yes now that you say that I remember now that it was the shafts that were causing the issues. Yes I look forward to hearing what you have to say about your elite considering they are fairly local to me. I dont plan on adding much more go fast parts for my truck except for the 310 spartan tune, but I do need a nice very stout trans so that it will hold up to towing larger louds at slower speeds in the mountains and up dirt roads for work and snowmobiling. My trans isnt done yet, but it is starting to get a little sloppy and towing on a pretty regular basis doesnt help the situation any.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

There is no need to run our TCM with a built transmission because the TCM is designed for the stock transmission. With a built tranny, line pressure is going to naturally be higher. You add our TCM and line pressure is WAY too high with the race tunes. It's fine for the track, but not for daily driving.

I run a Suncoast, and have loved it. That is what I recommend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.