Truck at Dealership..... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2010, 07:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck at Dealership.....

I was heading out of town a week and a half ago pulling a load I'm guessing to be around 14,000 lbs of construction material (my tractor is 12,500 and it was heavier). I started to climb a slight grade when truck shuddered like U joints were going out or something. I got off the pedal and it stopped but as soon as I got back on it, same thing. Let off again, put it in neutral and reved it a little and it shuddered and missed out badly again. Pulling over to the side of the road and put it in park and it was shuddering, loping, missing or whatever you want to call it like I had a huge oversized cam and had a little white smoke puffing! Oh man! No engine light or codes yet.

I turned it off, popped the hood to check for puking. Fluids were fine and no puking. Pulling engine oil dipstick and it smelled burnt! Oil had only 1,500 miles on it since it was changed. Started it back up again with same results but this time engine light. Check the codes with DashDaq and got Cylinder 6 misfired and Cylinder 8 Contribution Balance I believe is what it said. My brother came and picked up the trailer and I was able to make it back home (about 60 miles) to put it all back to stock. While switching the CAI out with the stock filter, noticed oil in the turbo, quite a bit of it.

Took it to the dealership (sh!!tin my pants). This was Thursday the 7th. Service writer called me on Tuesday the 12th and wanted my maintenance records. That was fine, had good records of all that. She (service writer) told me the tech told her he was leaning towards a turbo and rocker arms!! Huh!! She said she was certain that Ford would want the records. The remainder of last week I heard nothing and truthfully was scared sh!!tless to push the issue.

I called them this morning and she said they were still waiting for approval to proceed from Ford and that it was a turbo. I just don't believe that it's a turbo but here again, don't really want to argue with them just yet until I find out if it's going to covered or not.

Sorry for the long read but just am looking for opinions. I feel that it's related to alot of the same issues that's been happening like stuck injector that's melted one or more of the pistons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2010, 07:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like the same thing that just happened to one of our service trucks...Just read the statement on it today: Rocker arms on 6 and 8, pushrods (it said new short version), and high pressure turbo. Talk to the guy that drives it, and he siad it sounded like it was backfiring through the air filter. He said at first he thought he had a blow-out. Good luck, and keep us informed with what they say...
Old 10-19-2010, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Let us know what the dealerships says about your service records. Did you do all of the service work yourself? Heard some of these dealers can be @#$%%$# if the service work wasn't done by ford. Hope they take care of everything for you.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I did only (2) oil changes and (1) fuel filter change. Other than that, it's been done at the service station. The longest the truck went between changes is 5,234 miles to be exact. Truck has a little over 65,000 on it now. Truck has been well serviced. No drag strips just the occassional eye opener for the kid driving the mustang. Truck has done it's fair share of pulling (not sled) standard pulling though. We'll see....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.