MPG stats - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2010, 06:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
MPG stats

Nate, UDAMAN! Sorry for the thread length folks...

Installed my H&S Mini Maxx, AFE intake and Flo-Pro DOC/DPF delete (the Flo-Pro was a GREAT recommendation Nate!). My son did the intake while I did the H&S mount and wiring along with putting a new Edge tuner on his Dodge 3500 (tuner went bad and Edge replaced it for free, otherwise I would have MADE him buy a new one from Nate). Anyway, we tag teamed the exhaust.

First, the lessons learned.
  • The Flo-Pro DOC/DPF pipes were slightly longer than the CAT/DPF so we had to trim about 1 inch off the beveled portion closest to the muffler. Once you drop the CAT/DPF, lay the replacement pipes beside it and compare the two. Would have saved us an easy 2 hours.
  • Someone had suggested this before but it cannot be stated enough. Drop the complete hanger brackets with the CAT/DPF. You will only need to put one back anyway if you get a setup like I did.
  • The DOC/DPF comes off without taking the muffler and tail pipe off their hangers but pull it off the hangers and simply let it lay loose anyway. It is almost impossible to put things back together if you don't
  • Assemble the exhaust from front to back. This is kind of common sense but in the "heat of the moment", one always doesn't follow their common sense.
  • If the section of pipe closest to the muffler doesn't want to slip into the factory pipe, take the small section off the front of muffler and assemble the two, somewhere besides under the truck. The factory sections will go back together fairly easily.
Notice, there were no lessons learned for the intake or tuner. Went on flawlessly.

The results... This is really hard to convey. I grew up in the mid to late 70s so I have driven some fast vehicles. Until 5:32PM CST, a Plymouth GTX with a 440 Super Commando paired with a six-pack was the fastest. With the tuner on "Hot", this 6.4L is flat out dangerous. The throttle is so touchy, I have no idea how people that run it daily control it. It will literally smoke the tires almost completely through 1st, bark the tires consistantly in the shift to 2nd and sometimes in the shift to 3rd. That GTX would pop-a-wheely and I am convienced, if it were not an 8000lb vehicle this F250 could as well.

One last item folks need to consider when struggling with whether to tune their vehicle or not. Before tuning, the vehicle had enough power and was extremely smooth. It was not until after tuning that I realized that it actually seemed it had a "cold", figuratively of course. Once tuned, even on "No Power", the vehicle now seems like it is literally sliding down the road, effortlessly. I have no doubt that treated correctly, it will "slide" for many more miles than it would have.

Enough about the power, everyone knows how these vehicles are so let's get down to the main objective, MPG! Before tuning, checked 3 tanks with a Garmin GPS so none of this "hand" calculation or lie-o-meter. The results can't be second guessed. All 3 were taken after the first oil change at 5033 miles.
  • Tank 1: 13.8 MPG, moderate driving, a few (< 6) "jack-rabbit" starts
  • Tank 2: 14.2 MPG, easy driving, no "jack-rabbit" starts
  • Tank 3: 13.4 MPG, moderate driving, more (~12) "jack-rabbit" starts
I will post the first tank after tuning in this thread sometime next week. Just depends on how many 120 mile trips per day it can go.

Stay "tuned"...
Sig
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2010, 03:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

After my tranny figured out what to do... im getting 18.1 on 38's mostly Highway Driving on the HOT tune HAND calculated
Old 10-17-2010, 04:32 PM

Well i have been tracking my mileage since my H&S install , results aren't all that great . stock with DPF before tuner 14 mpg average , 275 tune 15mpg. 150 tune 14mpg . Just did a 500 mi. trip all highway miles averaged 70-75 mph. 1st 250 miles on 275 tune 15.9 mpg return led of 250 miles on the 150 tune 13.8 mpg . not what i was hoping for . I expected to see at least 18 mpg on the 275 tune. All fill ups were to the top of the filler neck and mpg was hand caluacted , stock 275/70/18 tires too .
Old 10-17-2010, 05:19 PM

great review man! Bout time some one did a in depth, analytical review!
Old 10-18-2010, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjamesm View Post
Well i have been tracking my mileage since my H&S install , results aren't all that great .
Same here. I'm having a hard time believing that some of us are getting BS for mileage and others are just doing phenomenal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjamesm View Post

All fill ups were to the top of the filler neck and mpg was hand calculated , stock 275/70/18 tires too .
Same again. I leave no margin for error and the MPG improvements aren't happening.

Please keep us posted Shapiro. Others feel free to chime in too. Wish I could figure out how some of you are seeing such awesome gains. Love to join that crowd.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:34 AM

I recorded the first 43 tuned (Hot) fillups in my truck and the best i got was 16.56 and only two other times was I in the 16 mpg range. The first 5000 miles on the truck was a trip to disney world up to maryland and back to Houston. The overall average was 14.3 for the 43 fillups.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shapiros View Post
this 6.4L is flat out dangerous. The throttle is so touchy, I have no idea how people that run it daily control it. It will literally smoke the tires almost completely through 1st, bark the tires consistantly in the shift to 2nd and sometimes in the shift to 3rd. That GTX would pop-a-wheely and I am convienced, if it were not an 8000lb vehicle this F250 could as well.

Sig
that is a pretty convincing sales pitch! it sounds super cool. If you don't mind saying how much do you have invested in all the mods? thanks
Old 10-18-2010, 11:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyroastbeef View Post
that is a pretty convincing sales pitch! it sounds super cool. If you don't mind saying how much do you have invested in all the mods? thanks
H&S Mini Maxx, AFE Stage 2 Pro 5r intake and Flo-Pro 4" CAT/DPF delete pipes were ...A GREAT PRICE... from Nate at PTP. Buy a package deal. He can save you a chunk-o-change...

Sorry, all I can say...

Sig

Last edited by shapiros; 10-18-2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:15 PM

4" Down pipe, 5" staight exhaust, Afe intake, Spartan 275. After about 20,000 miles of interstate driving at 70 mph I am getting around 15 mpg hand calculated. I drive 600 miles to and from work every 2 weeks and that is what I have been getting every time.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shapiros View Post
Nate, UDAMAN! Sorry for the thread length folks...

Installed my H&S Mini Maxx, AFE intake and Flo-Pro DOC/DPF delete (the Flo-Pro was a GREAT recommendation Nate!). My son did the intake while I did the H&S mount and wiring along with putting a new Edge tuner on his Dodge 3500 (tuner went bad and Edge replaced it for free, otherwise I would have MADE him buy a new one from Nate). Anyway, we tag teamed the exhaust.

First, the lessons learned.
  • The Flo-Pro DOC/DPF pipes were slightly longer than the CAT/DPF so we had to trim about 1 inch off the beveled portion closest to the muffler. Once you drop the CAT/DPF, lay the replacement pipes beside it and compare the two. Would have saved us an easy 2 hours.
  • Someone had suggested this before but it cannot be stated enough. Drop the complete hanger brackets with the CAT/DPF. You will only need to put one back anyway if you get a setup like I did.
  • The DOC/DPF comes off without taking the muffler and tail pipe off their hangers but pull it off the hangers and simply let it lay loose anyway. It is almost impossible to put things back together if you don't
  • Assemble the exhaust from front to back. This is kind of common sense but in the "heat of the moment", one always doesn't follow their common sense.
  • If the section of pipe closest to the muffler doesn't want to slip into the factory pipe, take the small section off the front of muffler and assemble the two, somewhere besides under the truck. The factory sections will go back together fairly easily.
Notice, there were no lessons learned for the intake or tuner. Went on flawlessly.

The results... This is really hard to convey. I grew up in the mid to late 70s so I have driven some fast vehicles. Until 5:32PM CST, a Plymouth GTX with a 440 Super Commando paired with a six-pack was the fastest. With the tuner on "Hot", this 6.4L is flat out dangerous. The throttle is so touchy, I have no idea how people that run it daily control it. It will literally smoke the tires almost completely through 1st, bark the tires consistantly in the shift to 2nd and sometimes in the shift to 3rd. That GTX would pop-a-wheely and I am convienced, if it were not an 8000lb vehicle this F250 could as well.

One last item folks need to consider when struggling with whether to tune their vehicle or not. Before tuning, the vehicle had enough power and was extremely smooth. It was not until after tuning that I realized that it actually seemed it had a "cold", figuratively of course. Once tuned, even on "No Power", the vehicle now seems like it is literally sliding down the road, effortlessly. I have no doubt that treated correctly, it will "slide" for many more miles than it would have.

Enough about the power, everyone knows how these vehicles are so let's get down to the main objective, MPG! Before tuning, checked 3 tanks with a Garmin GPS so none of this "hand" calculation or lie-o-meter. The results can't be second guessed. All 3 were taken after the first oil change at 5033 miles.
  • Tank 1: 13.8 MPG, moderate driving, a few (< 6) "jack-rabbit" starts
  • Tank 2: 14.2 MPG, easy driving, no "jack-rabbit" starts
  • Tank 3: 13.4 MPG, moderate driving, more (~12) "jack-rabbit" starts
I will post the first tank after tuning in this thread sometime next week. Just depends on how many 120 mile trips per day it can go.

Stay "tuned"...
Sig
Nice write-up Sig, I see you are fully enjoying the new package!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.