How much boost can stock head gaskets handle? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2010, 05:16 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How much boost can stock head gaskets handle?

I have a 2010 6.4 with stock head gaskets, Spartan tuner. How much boost can the head gaskets handle. When I tow my 36' triple slide 5th wheel in tow haul mode it often times hits 48#'s of boost so I let off the throttle. Will it handle 50+ pounds or do I need to back off when the boost gets that high. If the truck will handle it I want to stay on it but if it cant I dont want to damage anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2010, 05:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Back pressure is what you need to watch. Exhaust Back Pressure Absolute is the parameter to monitor on the DashDAQ. It is under Ford Specific parameters. It is going to show you back pressure plus whatever your barometric pressure is, which in the Memphis area would be around 14 or 15 I would think. So whatever number you see, subtract 14 from it. I would try and keep that number below 72 psi. I don't know too many 2010's blowing head gaskets though.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08stroker250 View Post
Back pressure is what you need to watch. Exhaust Back Pressure Absolute is the parameter to monitor on the DashDAQ. It is under Ford Specific parameters. It is going to show you back pressure plus whatever your barometric pressure is, which in the Memphis area would be around 14 or 15 I would think. So whatever number you see, subtract 14 from it. I would try and keep that number below 72 psi. I don't know too many 2010's blowing head gaskets though.
Is this the parameter I should be looking for with my 6.0L? Do the six's have an exhaust sensor? Also, isnt there a way to set the DD to calculate without - the 14.7?
Old 10-23-2010, 09:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yes you have the 2010 which means you have the updated gaskets...most 6.4's that are blowing head gaskets are the 2008 trucks that have a similar gasket design to the 6leakers. so 08stroker I live in Nor cali and barometric pressure around here is usually between 28-34 (Im at sea level) is that to say that if Im making 80psi of drive pressure that im actually making 52 psi of Back pressure there for putting in a safe range?
Old 10-23-2010, 10:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMotoRider1 View Post
Yes you have the 2010 which means you have the updated gaskets...most 6.4's that are blowing head gaskets are the 2008 trucks that have a similar gasket design to the 6leakers. so 08stroker I live in Nor cali and barometric pressure around here is usually between 28-34 (Im at sea level) is that to say that if Im making 80psi of drive pressure that im actually making 52 psi of Back pressure there for putting in a safe range?
Barometric should stay steady. You can monitor it on your DashDAQ. It should be around 15 if your at sea level.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08stroker250 View Post
Just to clarify, is it best to keep the Exhaust Back Pressure Absolute value below 72 psi or below 86 psi?
Old 10-24-2010, 04:43 AM

dont mix up inches of mercury ....as in 29"....thats not the barometric measurement he means....its what a column of air weighs where he lives...normally a column of air at sea level weighs 15 lbs and is half at 10,000 ft........think thats right ! been a long time
Old 10-24-2010, 11:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidsnowmobiler View Post
Just to clarify, is it best to keep the Exhaust Back Pressure Absolute value below 72 psi or below 86 psi?
Well 72 would be awesome lol, but whatever 72 + barometric pressure is.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:20 PM

72 minus 15.....= 57 ...........dont think you add it, the way i understand it but hell,i could be wrong [if you are close to sea level i'd use 15.]
Old 10-24-2010, 04:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by muntu View Post
72 minus 15.....= 57 ...........dont think you add it, the way i understand it but hell,i could be wrong [if you are close to sea level i'd use 15.]
I don't think you understood what I said. The DashDAQ reads back pressure with barometric pressure added.....so 72 psi of actual back pressure would be 87 psi on the DashDAQ. You subtract the 15 from the number you see on the DashDAQ. I believe the stock back pressure sensor maxes out at 85.6 psi, so 70.6 psi would be all you see. If you hit 85.6 on the DashDAQ, that is a good time to let out.

.....UNLESS you are like me and keep it held lol. I wouldn't see very good track times if I let out every time I saw back pressure at 85.6 on the DashDAQ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.