EGR Valve Position/Dashdaq - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2010, 08:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR Valve Position/Dashdaq

I have some questions about the EGR position. I have one of my monitored parameters on the Dashdaq set for EGR_ERR. its range is -100 to 99. Does anyone know (1) is that reading the feedback from the position sensor or is that the number the computer is telling the valve to get to. In process control terms, is that the measurement or the setpoint? (2) Is "99" open or closed?

I run the 250 tune because for one, I can't afford any bigger tunes and I really don't think I need them for a daily driving. I read or asked before if the 250 tune closes the EGR valve and it was my understanding that it was closed under acceleration. It seems that I can be driving down the highway and sometimes it reads -100 and sometimes it reads 99. I'm also not sure what the system control bases its status off of, temperature? particulates? Regardless of what it measures, I can't find any pattern to its position. Maybe there's an electronic glitch somewhere in the measurement or the monitoring. Sometimes it seems to pop open and then shut right away.

Perhaps I should make a recording and analyze the numbers. (?)

(did that all make sense?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2010, 09:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

You need to monitor the % parameter. It will show you the % that the valve is open. I think its EGR Position or something like that.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:54 AM
<<< 6.4 Powersmoke

Commanded EGR % is the one you want to watch.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:22 AM

OK. Thanks guys... Not sure why I never used that one... So "commanded" will mean "setpoint" or what the computer is asking the valve to open to, correct? So that makes me wonder what the valve is actually opening closing to. If the control says "go to 45% open", can I see the feedback saying "ok, I'm at 45%"?

I should just block the dang thing off and be done with it, eh?
Old 10-12-2010, 12:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselkane View Post
Commanded EGR % is the one you want to watch.
That's the one!

My valve hasn't been functional in over a year, so I couldn't remember what the parameter was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl2725 View Post
OK. Thanks guys... Not sure why I never used that one... So "commanded" will mean "setpoint" or what the computer is asking the valve to open to, correct? So that makes me wonder what the valve is actually opening closing to. If the control says "go to 45% open", can I see the feedback saying "ok, I'm at 45%"?

I should just block the dang thing off and be done with it, eh?
The Commanded EGR parameter is going to show you exactly what the valve is doing using a 0% to 100% basis, with 0% being closed and 100% being fully open. You won't, and shouldn't see the valve cycle with the 250 tune unless the truck is idling. The 210 tune is the same way. The 175 and lower tunes will cycle it all the time. The 275, 310 (and 300), and the 350 tunes will never cycle the valve, even at idle you won't see it cycle.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:42 PM

Crystal Clear.

Changed it on the way home from work and everything's as you explained.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.