AFE vs S&B... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2010, 10:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
AFE vs S&B...

...which is better and why? I plan on running Spartan's 250 or 275 tune with stock exhaust with a DOC/DPF delete pipe. Thanks

-Jeff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2010, 10:48 AM

I like my afe stage 2 with my pro gaurd 7.. I think it flows more air than the s&b but for the 250 and 275 tunes i think youll be more than happy with the either choice
Old 09-27-2010, 11:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jonboywv12
afe all the way! pro guard or not still a great set up!
Old 09-27-2010, 08:03 PM

I've got the S&B & really like it! I know AFE is good stuff,but I had the SI model & sent it back do to fittment problems!
Old 09-27-2010, 08:20 PM

AFE with pro guard 7 on mine i love it i run my truck in dusty conditions all the time and she still flows like a champ and filters all the dirt out
Old 09-27-2010, 11:52 PM

Go with AFE, sounds like the SI stage 2 model is the way to go, but it seems to be a tight fit according to some...
Old 09-28-2010, 11:47 AM

s&b, tidy little unit. awesome fit. i do believe the afe may flow a little bit more air but not a noticeable difference running the 250 or 275
vote for s&b
Old 09-28-2010, 12:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I first tried the K&N panel drop in years ago, before anyone knew they filtered poorly. It helped spool-up and mpg. After I hit 100k I put in a DP Tuner chip and 4" exhaust and ran that awhile.

I had debated between the Ford AIS and the S&B for a long time. Both were purported to flow well and filter great. They were both $200 then. I got the AIS. Big mistake. I do go offroad some, but mostly highway driving. The Donely AIS filter should be good for 50-60k miles. It's huge and traps 5x more dirt than stock. I did the Zoodad (holes drilled in front air dam). My first filter plugged around 25k on it. I didn't notice for a long time because I did not expect it. I noticed lower mpg, more oil leakage, then harder starting and more soot. I finally figured it out. It had a lot of dust in it. New filter. The next only went for 15k w/ NO OFFROADING. No gravel, nothing. Clean, highway driving. The one lasted only 15k before I had intolerable EGT's while pulling. I had to rig a cheap filter on from Autozone while on the highway in WY. Got me home w/ 250 deg lower EGT.

Now. I had to get rid of el-cheapo. I finally ponied up for the S&B oiled. The filters cost the same, but dry is disposable only, so I got oiled. It is great. EGT's stayed low, normal, I mean. I can hear all the flow. I could hear the rigged filter more, but it had NO box at all, only filter on intake hose. I covered the bottom hole. It seemed to me that would only expose it to water, mud, and road dirt from under the fender well. I think the snout and hole facing the fender are enough. They have 8 layers (or is it 7?) Either way, a lot. They are the ONLY company that backs up their system w/ filtration and flow data. I like proof in a product.

I'm not sure why any of these are called "cold air intakes" since they still draw from under the hood.

I hope to add a snorkel someday. The S&B is the only one that is almost stock in configuration and would allow it. It looks great. I did get the pre-filter sock to keep big things out of the mesh, as well.

I love it. Get it!
Old 09-30-2010, 12:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I runb the S&B and think its the best value on the market. The only drawback to it is changing the filter which takes a little longer. Its not really a big deal though. AFE makes a really nice product as well. You will be very happy with either one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.