fuel in the oil - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 09-22-2010, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: the sticks
Posts: 69
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
fuel in the oil

as many of us no overfueling is common on stock 6.4s, my question is can that have long term effects on your bearings, reason im askin is i checked my oil and id say there is more fuel than oil in my crankcase, its a good 7 to 8 inches farther up than my full mark plus i actually had my dipstick blow out and oil covered my engine campartment when it was burning off my motor it didnt smell like oil?????????????????
just wondering if this can cause bearing faliure////it definitely cannont be good i have 42k on my truck and i really didnt pay attention to the oil level untill i heard that they over fuel during regen, mine seems to regen every 10 seconds so for the last 42k ive proly had a bunch of fuel in my oil
jls48066 is offline  
post #2 of 31 Old 09-22-2010, 07:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
powerhoghp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hedgesville, WV
Posts: 1,256
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If you had multiple inches of fuel in your oil, you weren't changing it enough. Diesel fuel actually lubricates fairly well, not as well as motor oil, but still fairly well. As for bearing failure, not likely, atleast not untill high mileage. And FWIW, its not overfueling, its the fuel washing down the cylinder, past the rings during the exhaust stroke.
powerhoghp is offline  
post #3 of 31 Old 09-23-2010, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: the sticks
Posts: 69
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ended up being a combination of things/ stuck injector and the intercooler holding water, the intercooler holding water caused it to regen constantly, stuck injector didnt help the cause, and i change my oil every 4 to 5k so i hate to say i change my oil enough, what is fwiw im not familiar with the texting terms, ive heard the term overfueling numerous times so thats what i refer to it as... other than that its been a decent truck i just think i threw my money away 50k if it has this many problems in the first 40k miles than what am i going to go through at 300k miles just my opinion.. thanks for the info, the dealer did decide (after i threw a fit) replace the engine and my turbos at no cost i dug some info off of the internet last night and solvent based minerals (fuel) can cause internal damage if the percentage of fuel to oil is more than 7 percent
jls48066 is offline  
post #4 of 31 Old 09-23-2010, 08:05 PM
Premium Member
 
pyro2nite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sacarmento CA
Posts: 861
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have been trying to get someone from Ford to give me a percentage of fuel in the oil that is acceptable. 3% 5% 7%???? My oil has been showing high amounts of aluminum in it..................pistons?

2008 FX4 SC SB 6 Speed 3:73LS, Transflow, H&S Mini Maxx, KEM Tunes, S&B Intake
pyro2nite is offline  
post #5 of 31 Old 09-23-2010, 08:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Inverted99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: On top of Cedar Mountain
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhoghp View Post
If you had multiple inches of fuel in your oil, you weren't changing it enough. Diesel fuel actually lubricates fairly well, not as well as motor oil, but still fairly well. As for bearing failure, not likely, atleast not untill high mileage. And FWIW, its not overfueling, its the fuel washing down the cylinder, past the rings during the exhaust stroke.
Maybe someone can help me with this. If the rings are good, how is oil getting into the crankcase? Seems to me if the rings are allowing fuel by them, then blowby would be happening I would think. Thanks...Jeff

Oh yea...to the original poster, FWIW means for what it's worth.
Inverted99 is offline  
post #6 of 31 Old 09-23-2010, 08:25 PM
Premium Member
 
pyro2nite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sacarmento CA
Posts: 861
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
During the compression cycle the rings are pressed against the cylinders. During the regen process fuel is introduce into the cylinders during the exhaust stroke so it can heat the DPF and the rings are not compressed.

2008 FX4 SC SB 6 Speed 3:73LS, Transflow, H&S Mini Maxx, KEM Tunes, S&B Intake
pyro2nite is offline  
post #7 of 31 Old 09-23-2010, 08:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Inverted99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: On top of Cedar Mountain
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mmmm. Why would the rings not be sealed to the cylinder? Both compression and exhaust are upstrokes of the piston, what makes the rings seal with the cylinder different on the two different strokes of the piston. Not trying to argue but to understand this, I never have. I know that fuel is introduced during the exhaust stroke to clean the DPF but how and why it gets into the crankcase I do not understand. Thanks...Jeff
Inverted99 is offline  
post #8 of 31 Old 09-23-2010, 08:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Irishcream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Winnipeg , Canada
Posts: 672
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jls48066 View Post
ended up being a combination of things/ stuck injector and the intercooler holding water, the intercooler holding water caused it to regen constantly, stuck injector didnt help the cause, and i change my oil every 4 to 5k so i hate to say i change my oil enough, what is fwiw im not familiar with the texting terms, ive heard the term overfueling numerous times so thats what i refer to it as... other than that its been a decent truck i just think i threw my money away 50k if it has this many problems in the first 40k miles than what am i going to go through at 300k miles just my opinion.. thanks for the info, the dealer did decide (after i threw a fit) replace the engine and my turbos at no cost i dug some info off of the internet last night and solvent based minerals (fuel) can cause internal damage if the percentage of fuel to oil is more than 7 percent
Has the truck been towed lately? The water in the intercooler is sometimes caused by air flowing from the tailpipe forward.

Facebook Jamie Murphy
1997 Ford F250 HD Powerstroke 7.3L
5 Speed with SouthBend Clutch
Air Ride 3000lb bags with onboard compressor and controls inside cab.
35X12.50X17 BFG M/T
AirMax Spiral Flow System
Napa Air Filter
MBRP 3" Downpipe
Electric Fuel
5" Mitre Cut stacks
TonyWildman 6 pos
Irishcream is offline  
post #9 of 31 Old 09-24-2010, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: the sticks
Posts: 69
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
truck was never towed, invert99 brings up a good point about the rings letting fuel by seems it would let oil by as well
jls48066 is offline  
post #10 of 31 Old 09-24-2010, 06:18 PM
Premium Member
 
pyro2nite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sacarmento CA
Posts: 861
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted99 View Post
Mmmm. Why would the rings not be sealed to the cylinder? Both compression and exhaust are upstrokes of the piston, what makes the rings seal with the cylinder different on the two different strokes of the piston. Not trying to argue but to understand this, I never have. I know that fuel is introduced during the exhaust stroke to clean the DPF but how and why it gets into the crankcase I do not understand. Thanks...Jeff
On the exhaust cycle the valves are open, so no compression to hold the rings to the cylinder wall.

2008 FX4 SC SB 6 Speed 3:73LS, Transflow, H&S Mini Maxx, KEM Tunes, S&B Intake
pyro2nite is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome