Big Reds buildup - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2010, 06:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Big Reds buildup

Well some of you know that my truck cracked a piston. It was taken to the dealer where they had it for 2 months. They eventually denied my warranty and this is where the buildup began.
Obviously I needed a new piston so the essentials were bought from Feeny Ford in Grayling. I dealt with Chris who was awesome and has given me great prices on parts. So far from ford I have a Piston and ring kit, Rod bearings, head gaskets, Injector O ring kit, Exhaust manifold and up pipe gaskets, Intake Gaskets, Rocker box gaskets, and a new passenger side up pipe.
I didnít add to many performance parts to the build but a lot of preventative parts to keep the motor happy. I called Rudy up and ordered the Elite upgraded HPFP, ported rails, EGR delete with wastegate, Elites H11 headstuds, Elites CFM+ w/ adapter plate, and I got Rudys cold side IC pipe. I called up Mike Haller(97singlecab) for a set of his HPFP lines from the pump to the rails. Dan(sogrand) got a call for a billet oil cap. The fuel system needed to be addressed so I ordered some stuff from Jegs. I also got some bigger fittings for the supply and return on the HPFP. Ill be running a FASS 150/150 with a -8 line directly to the HPFP. Return side is all -6 with the fuel bowl and cooler deleted. Im using a 18Ē finned tranny cooler on the frame rail for a fuel cooler. I sent my oil pan, intake manifold, IC pipes, and valve covers powder coated red and my rocker boxes black. The Heads were machined and mildly ported by Gregs Cylinder Heads. The intake and exhaust manifolds were ported by a buddy of mine who runs a performance shop up here.
Heres some pictures of the progress so far. Just got the heads on today.
Attached Thumbnails
Big Reds buildup-150.jpg   Big Reds buildup-155.jpg   Big Reds buildup-021.jpg   Big Reds buildup-motor-out-022.jpg   Big Reds buildup-piston-out-019.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2010, 06:55 PM

More............
Attached Thumbnails
Big Reds buildup-more-truck-021.jpg   Big Reds buildup-more-motor-024.jpg   Big Reds buildup-more-motor-027.jpg   Big Reds buildup-more-motor-029.jpg   Big Reds buildup-more-motor-030.jpg  

Old 09-21-2010, 06:58 PM

The build starts
Attached Thumbnails
Big Reds buildup-heads-016.jpg   Big Reds buildup-heads-018.jpg   Big Reds buildup-heads-020.jpg   Big Reds buildup-heads-022.jpg   Big Reds buildup-heads-025.jpg  

Old 09-21-2010, 07:22 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Man thats gonna be pretty stout when you're done!
Old 09-21-2010, 09:28 PM

looks like fun. what caused the problem in the first place?
Old 09-22-2010, 07:31 PM

Bad head gasket and it filled the cylinder with coolant and tried to hydralock. Ended up crackin the piston instead.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

good to see another red truck
Old 09-23-2010, 12:19 PM

Got some more work done yesterday. studs torqued, motor in, trans bolted back up. The rocker boxes are torqued down as well as the intake manifold and CFM. Got the exhaust manifolds painted with 2000 deg. paint and torqued on. Valve covers are loosely bolted on. Couldnt get the rocker assembly in due to the tech from ford not putting any of my stuff in order so I had to order new push rods. Rudys shippin them out tomorrow. Got Elites Chrome moly pushrods. Heres a couple pics. Lighting kinda sucks.
Attached Thumbnails
Big Reds buildup-more-motor-016.jpg   Big Reds buildup-more-motor-017.jpg   Big Reds buildup-more-motor-018.jpg  
Old 09-23-2010, 12:26 PM

Subscribed. I'm liking the colored parts under the hood

...it's gonna look suspiciously like a N14 Cummins tho lol.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:30 PM
Serving Our Country!

Man I saw Big Red and I thought someone was talking about my truck, haha. Build looks like it's going pretty smooth. After it's all said and done you going to put it on the dyno?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.