Drop in or Aftermarket Cold Air Intake - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2010, 07:26 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Drop in or Aftermarket Cold Air Intake

First off, I apologize for the lengthy post and I understand everyone has an opinion. You have to weed through the info and decide what's best for you. Yes, I've used the search function and have read more than I care too at this point. So, my questions are, which is better, drop in or aftermarket CAI and what is actually needed for these Fords? Is an oiled or dry filter better?

After owning a Dodge Cummins things were a little different and I respect that. I want to do what's best for the this truck. I learned the Dodges are good with the stock air box and a good quality drop in filter until you approach the 450-500 hp level. After that, an aftermarket CAI was necessary. It was a waste of money to drop $300-$400 dollars on an aftermarket CAI and only run a 100+ hp tuner. It was also recommended to stay away from the oiled filters. I ran Amsoil filters and had great luck.

So, what's the scoop with these Fords? Will I mod it in the future? Yes, I just don't know when. It's only got 4000 miles on it so I'm having a hard time spending that much money to drop the DPF and put a Spartan on it this soon.
I'd do a drop in filter if it's worth it and just run the stock box unless the 210 hp tunes require the aftermarket CAI. If so, I'll save my money. If I order the a CAI do I go with a dry or oiled? Anyone using Amsoil air filters?

I love to read and learn as much as possible and just havn't come accross the answers to these questions yet.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2010, 07:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dereku
I like AFE and that is what I would recommend for a CAI
Old 09-11-2010, 08:12 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I like my AFE but if you aren't going with a super large tune and don't want to spend $350-$400 then I personally would just buy the s&b intake. There is a lot of guys running 275hp+ tunes on the s&b and its a lot cheaper.

I hear a lot of people say they can hear the turbo more with the AFE. Personally I only hear my turbo the first 4-5secs I stomp on it if the window is down. From that point my exhaust drowns out what air I would supposed to be hearing.

Its really a matter of do you want the best airflow or just enough to get by.A green filter in the stock box will get you by. The stock box and filter did good for me with the 150hp dfp on tune. Now with that said I only ran with that tune for 1 week then switched to the 275 dpf off.. I personally feel that 99% of the 6.4's I see broke down at work are dpf/egr related. We have a fleet of around 300+ 6.4's where I work.

I put the tuner on my truck around 1000miles on the odometer also. Just enough to seat the bearings. The rings on the 6.4's to me don't seem to set in till the 2nd or 3rd oil change depending on the driver. That is where I see the mpg's go up a small fraction.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:53 AM
Premium Member

IMO, get a CAI. You're gonna pay $80 or more for a decent drop in, and then at some point you'll drop your DPF and tune it and you'll need more air or you'll pull the filter minder. I went with an S&B because they have never pulled the Check Engine Light, I've heard a couple AFE's have pulled it before. Plus it was a lot cheaper.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:11 AM

Thanks for the input so far.

What's the concensus on oiled vs dry filter? I know the 7.3 crowd sure favors a NAPA dry filters. The filters they're using are used in farm implements and trucks exposed to very dusty conditions.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have a DROP-IN AFE PRO DRY 7, I get more than enough air, easy to clean, & It only cost me $57
Old 09-11-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunman41mag View Post
I have a DROP-IN AFE PRO DRY 7, I get more than enough air, easy to clean, & It only cost me $57
Thank you gunman. Where did you pick it up at?
Old 09-11-2010, 12:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Drop in's have proven to work on stock truck's and truck's tuned low.....If you are running a tuner and running a 200+ horsepower tune, then I would recommend a full cold air intake. As for the intake, I would recommend AFE. For a drop in, S&B or AFE will work great.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:30 PM

What about the filters on the AFE? Oiled or dry? I've been leaning towards the AFE stage 2 with a dry filter on my SD.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Pro Guard 7 filter is hands down the best IMO. I have had two different AFE filter's, and the PG-7 is awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.