7.3 or 6.4 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 01:57 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 or 6.4

Alright guys im in a lil bit of pickle here. Ive had my 7.3 for a lil over a year now and i love it. But its been nickle and diming me to death. I have pretty much rebuilt the whole front end and i mean everything in the front end. Including leaf springs and shocks all the way around. It also has a built 4r100 by a local trans guy that is very reputable. The truck has all the basic 7.3 mods. So by now im addicted to diesel power and i want to make more power. So now for my dilema. Continue on with the 7.3 and try and make as much power as possible with the 7.3 without breaking the bank or put the 7.3 up for sale and start fresh with a 6.4?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2010, 02:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you don't want to break the bank, find a well maintained with good rep 6.0.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Look at the all of the factors. How much could you do to your 7.3 for the difference in price you would pay for a 6.4? I would say at the end of the day you could get a decent amount of horsepower out of your 7.3 for that difference. Plus having a high horsepower 7.3 is not common, having a 500+ horsepower 6.4 seems to be the norm these days.

If it were me, I would continue building the 7.3.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:10 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
its not an easy road to make a 500 plus 7.3 though. What year 7.3 is it? PCRs? Whats the 6.4 going for price wise? Do the math on both to get you to where you want to be.
7.3 gonna need turbo, hpop, injectors, custom tuned chip, reg return, some sort of fuel mod like fass or airdog or the dual factory setup, fuel tank mods, and all the normal stuff and you'll probably be gettin close.
6.4 price difference of buying the truck, intake exhaust and tunes and your there.
if it were me, I'd stick to the 7.3, it will outlast them all and take a hella beating
Old 09-06-2010, 02:18 PM

thanks guys.....its a 2000 f250 quad cab 4wd. with forged rods....i really do want build the 7.3 just because of the fact that, like you said, 500 plus horsepower 7.3s arent all that common. thanks for the advice
Old 09-06-2010, 02:20 PM

6.4 you wont regret it
Old 09-06-2010, 08:39 PM

stick with what brought ya to the dance the difference in money between the 7.3 and the 6.4 you can make that ole 7.3 scream and go to at least 400,000 miles try that with a 6.4.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:05 PM

dude keep the 7.3 i friecken love those trucks imo you CANNOT beat the sound of a 5" straight piped 7.3 .. yes i have a very fast 6.4 but do i sometimes htink id take a 7.3 over ityea sometimes i do .. its just really bad a$$ havin a sweet 7. keep in mid it wont be easy mods it will taek alot but working on a 7.3 i hevean compared to a 6.4
Old 09-07-2010, 10:47 PM

alright well im thinkin im gonna keep the ol trusty clankin 7.3. thanks for the input guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.