Southbend? Anybody? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Southbend? Anybody?

I just read this thread BY BY Clutch and I've got some questions since the thread is a little dated.

I'm looking for a clutch for my truck that drives similar to the stock clutch. Mods are in the signature. I'd like to be able to run at least the 250 tune and maybe the higher ones in the future. Southbend makes a couple clutches for the 6.4 and I need y'alls opinion.

Single Disc Feramic holds 500 hp but I've heard it's not pleasant too drive. Real grabby.

Dual Disc 3250 holds 650 hp and drives a little better. Or so I've heard.

Dual Disc 3600 holds 750 hp but I read it's not as streetable.

They've got stronger ones but I'm not a sled puller and don't plan on becoming one. Do any of you guys run Southbends and if you do what do you like or dislike about the one you're running.

Also, is there any kind of noise difference running a Southbend. I've heard they are noisy. Thanks much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Powerstroke Techie

I can vouch for them being noisy, the dual disc ones.

I can't remember what clutch we put in my buddy's, but it's a dual disc, and it's kind of a ***** to drive.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Premium Member

Anybody else.

Big Angry Hillbilly: How noisy are we taling about?
Old 09-01-2010, 11:49 PM

I put in their 1000lb'er in my 05, single disc, no different noises, low gear very grabby and trying to back-up a 35' toy hauler was major touchy, but definitely all the holding power you need.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Have you looked at luk clutches? I looked at both luk and south bend. I decided to go with south bend when I replaced mine a year ago. When I opened the box the disk had luk stamped on it. Just a heads up.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I can't speak of how a South Bend does in a Ford because I don't have one.(want one really really bad). But I do have their 3600 dual disc and it is LOUD!!

It changed the whole driving experience of my truck. It is streetable but it has a whole new set of driving habits that weren't there before. The rattle of the clutch is louder than the motor idling.

Only way it doesn't make an awful screeching noise when taking off from a stop is enough fuel to bark the tires which is not possible in every situation..lol

Don't get me wrong the clutch will hold what they advertise and more, but I'm being honest that the clutch has been the MAIN reason I want to get rid of my truck and my buddy 08Stroker250's truck makes that choice a FORD for me!!

Everyone has their own reasons for choosing a manual truck just as I had mine, but this clutch has made my mind up that this will be my last manual shift truck.

Good luck in what you choose and I hope this helps a little??
Old 09-03-2010, 08:03 AM
Premium Member

Thanks coontz74. That's some good info. It's completely contradictory to what Southbend told me over the phone yesterday. I think they are probably just trying to sell me a clutch. I assume you have a Dodge with the Southbend in it? What kind of noise is it? A rattle? How bad is it when you're driving compared to idle? Thanks again.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mor4wd View Post
Thanks coontz74. That's some good info. It's completely contradictory to what Southbend told me over the phone yesterday. I think they are probably just trying to sell me a clutch. I assume you have a Dodge with the Southbend in it? What kind of noise is it? A rattle? How bad is it when you're driving compared to idle? Thanks again.
Don't get me wrong South Bend is a great clutch and does what they say it will do for sure. It will hold the HP and then some, but their idea of noisey and what I thought it should/could be were a little different to say the least?

And yes it is a Dodge so don't beat up on me too bad..lol. I want a Ford just can't get the dollars to line up for one yet.

Driving in 6th gear at highway speeds you won't be able to tell a difference but low rpm's is really annoying. I used to have a 5.9 stock that you could lug at low rpm's and just pull and pull, but this 6.7 and a South Bend anything below 2k rpm's and the lugging noise is awful. Sounds like the exhaust is gonna fall off.

And like I say, a Ford's characteristics maybe totally different but I would bet should be similar??

You should go over to the CumminsForum and just read a few pages about guys complaining about clutch noise. Most guys respond and say "you want a real clutch or a quiet one?" . So I have just learned to drive it the best I can and keep the rpm's up and you could tolerate it.

Backing a trailer uphill is a little rough too. I wish you the best of luck but I wish I would have listened before I bought my truck and got a Ford auto and put the Suncoast in it right away with some mild tuning and would have been much happier cause I'm not looking to build a 800hp truck. Just like reliable, quick, solid built truck that has the looks too and for me that has FORD written all over it...
Old 09-03-2010, 09:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I can attest to the noise of coontz74's clutch. It is VERY loud, and so are most other trucks I have heard with dual disc clutches. Southbend makes a great product though and it will hold the power.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:20 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coontz74 View Post
Don't get me wrong South Bend is a great clutch and does what they say it will do for sure. It will hold the HP and then some, but their idea of noisey and what I thought it should/could be were a little different to say the least?

And yes it is a Dodge so don't beat up on me too bad..lol. I want a Ford just can't get the dollars to line up for one yet.

Driving in 6th gear at highway speeds you won't be able to tell a difference but low rpm's is really annoying. I used to have a 5.9 stock that you could lug at low rpm's and just pull and pull, but this 6.7 and a South Bend anything below 2k rpm's and the lugging noise is awful. Sounds like the exhaust is gonna fall off.

And like I say, a Ford's characteristics maybe totally different but I would bet should be similar??

You should go over to the CumminsForum and just read a few pages about guys complaining about clutch noise. Most guys respond and say "you want a real clutch or a quiet one?" . So I have just learned to drive it the best I can and keep the rpm's up and you could tolerate it.

Backing a trailer uphill is a little rough too. I wish you the best of luck but I wish I would have listened before I bought my truck and got a Ford auto and put the Suncoast in it right away with some mild tuning and would have been much happier cause I'm not looking to build a 800hp truck. Just like reliable, quick, solid built truck that has the looks too and for me that has FORD written all over it...
Don't worry, I won't bag on your Dodge. I, myself, am a Dodge to Ford convert. Thanks again for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.