Shift on the Fly??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2010, 01:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Shift on the Fly???

Just looking for some info on the H&S products. I mainly want to know how they can compare to Spartan and SCT while being a shift on the fly programmer. I know that the banks 6 gun is a shift on the fly for the 6.0 (and maybe for the 6.4 I dont know) and I also know that my livewire was far supperior to banks b/c it tuned the tranny, got more actual HP, and the truck ran better. At least that's what I concluded when comparing my old truck with custom tunes to a buddies with the banks 6 gun. Thanks to those that can help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2010, 06:08 PM

Hmmm....I thought the H&S was more popular than this. I know I've seen a bunch of guys using it on here
Old 08-30-2010, 06:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

There are a lot of H&S users on this forum, I am sure there will be a few posting in here before too long. Maybe Casey or Bentley will chime in on your post as well.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:18 PM

Well if you dont mind, why don't y'all at spartan use shift on the fly programming?
Old 08-30-2010, 06:18 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
H&S makes a great product. Im not sure if they make a tune that compares to the 350 tune but all around H&S is good stuff.

Jeff you tried an H&S on your truck for a bit when you worked for John didnt you?
Old 08-30-2010, 06:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by white07 View Post
Well if you dont mind, why don't y'all at spartan use shift on the fly programming?
Because we do not think that the transmission can be tuned right to it's fullest potential that way. Each tune you load in your truck with the Phalanx Flash Console has a specific engine and transmission file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
H&S makes a great product. Im not sure if they make a tune that compares to the 350 tune but all around H&S is good stuff.

Jeff you tried an H&S on your truck for a bit when you worked for John didnt you?
Yes sir, I ran it for a day. We went to a dyno day near John's shop and tested a beta file Casey sent John. I then drove around for the day with it. I can't make any claims to how it was because they were still working through a few bugs, as they had pretty much just released the tuner. Also, the file that Casey sent us wasn't meant for 700 feet elevation. He wrote it as if he was writing a file meant for a truck there in Utah. Simple mistake that hurt the performance of the tune I ran.

So in summary, I can't really say anything positive or negative based on my personal experience with the tuner.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:49 AM

I ran the Black Maxx on my 08 and it was awsome. I never had any tranny or engine problems while running it. I ran the HOT DAMN tunes and Bentley sent me a 310-315 custom tune for a rally I went to and with a full tank of #2 I ran a 12.906 and I have never raced before that. I'm sure I could have got into the 12.8's at least with more runs and less fuel in the tank. I chose H&S because their service is top notch and I ran the XRT on my 08 Cummins right when it came out and it was flawless. My milage went up around 3-4MPG when I added the Maxx and the install was super simple since I could just leave the sensors in the factory exhaust. When I tune my '11 I'll be using H&S and I think I'll go Mini Maxx this time around.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I have been running the Mini on my 08 for the past few weeks and I have been very pleased with the power and driveability, there "Hot Damn" tune is very comparable to the Spartan 310 in many ways. The 310 has a bit more balls down low but the H&S is right with it on top end. I somewhat agree with what Jeff has said in regards to the transmission shifting, I ran the Race Shifting and while on the top setting the trans shifting is right on its a bit rougher than you will see with Spartans lower HP tunes. I understand completely why that is though, if you had nice shifting on the stock or Mild setting the tranny would slip while on Hot. However, you can't always have everything as you may wan't it. If your looking for a shift-on-the-fly tuner the H&S is the way to go hands down and truthfully even if your not its a very viable option if your looking for just economy and power.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:02 AM

Thanks a lot John, that's pretty much what I'm looking for...economy and power. I won't be doing any cab off mods. Just a programmer and exhaust at first and then add an intake down the line. I won't be drag racing or anything. I just want to get rid of this damn dpf and get back into the power!
Old 08-31-2010, 07:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to Dim Sum
I have no tuner experience aside from my Mini. I love it so far as its easy to use, read, afford, and it doesn't require any of the exhaust sensors.

I can't compare the tuners, but I like mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.