Detectability of Aftermarket Clutch - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2010, 11:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Detectability of Aftermarket Clutch

I am currently running dpf/doc delete with spartan tunes, but I have a service contract with Ford, so I will need to put the truck back to stock before each oil change and service. The power increases through the Spartan tuner are just too much for the clutch.
I have been looking at the Southbend Dual Disc set ups, and they seem to be one of the better options for the ZF6 trannies. My concern is that when I take my truck in for service that someone will notice how heavy the clutch pedal is, and take note. Is this worthy of concern?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2010, 12:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

You could just tell them you tow heavy and wanted to the aftermarket clutch for reliability. The only warranty they can void is your "tranny/clutch" warranty.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

They will not warant the clutch, and it is none of there concern that you already burned up the first clutch and had it replaced with a heavy duty one.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:49 AM
Premium Member

With an aftermarket clutch like the South Bend, you shouldn't feel that much of an increase in the pedal pressure if it's installed correctly. They don't physically press tighter together, they just have better friction materials. Out of curiosity, what tune could you run at most with the manual trans without slipping. I've got a manual and am waiting on Spartan to write the tunes.
Also, if anybody else can chime in that knows, I've heard that a South Bend or Valair (if they made one for the 6.4) are substantially louder than the stock clutch. You get the real diesel rattle, or so I've heard. I don't want that but I'd like a better clutch. Anybody know if this is true?
Old 08-31-2010, 11:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Dual disc clutches can be loud. I don't know if Valair makes anything for the 6.4. Southbend might have a single disc (can't remember), but it isn't going to hold up with the bigger tunes like a dual disc.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:06 PM
Premium Member

South bend does have a dual disc with Feramite friction material. I've heard there unbearably loud.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

im running the single disk "feramic" from south bend. seems to be holding up to the 250Hp Spartan, but I find the clutch "harsh" It wants to be in or out, no slipping.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:55 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowfolk View Post
im running the single disk "feramic" from south bend. seems to be holding up to the 250Hp Spartan, but I find the clutch "harsh" It wants to be in or out, no slipping.
Did it make any difference in the engine noise. Like "rattle" from the clutch at idle or any other RPM? I need to get something, but if I do, I'd like it to be able to handle the larger tunes from Spartan, like at most the 310 tune.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The stock clutch isn't good for any of the tunes above 150. My clutch slipped whilst towing on the 150 one time under medium load. I should add that my truck has 20k easy miles on it so far. Does ford offer any factory clutch upgrades?
Old 08-31-2010, 10:04 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Very good friend of mine has a 210 tune in his truck and the stock clutch slipped. He's now got a South Bend Dual Disc in it. Thing grabs AWESOME. Clutches aren't warrantied much anyhow, they are a 'wear item' like brake pads.

Likely, the Ford dealer will tell you your throwout bearing is going away with the dual disc South Bend.

And yes, the dual disc South Bend clutch is NOISY. But only with the pedal pushed in. Driving down the road it's no different than the stocker.

The SB clutch, I noticed, as well as my friend, is VERY grabby. This isn't a fault per se, it's just the way it acts. It's very chattery getting the truck moving, even for someone that's driven stick forever. Fantastic product though, very very nice pieces. HEAVY... Holy GOD is it ever heavy. I think the shipped weight was about 140lbs. Comes with PP, flywheel, disc, secondary disc.

PM me, I have some additional information that you might find useful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.