First Super Duty reliability questions after mods - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2010, 05:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question First Super Duty reliability questions after mods

I just bought my first F250 6.4 Diesel 3 weeks ago and am now wanting to upgrade it for performance and mileage. I am looking at a DPF/DOC delete and a Spartan system running mostly the 210 or 250 program. My question is what is the reliability of the engine after doing so? Am I going to cut down the life of the truck by doing these mods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2010, 05:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Dim Sum
I just put the H&S on my truck, so I'm curious about this as well.

There are a couple threads of people who really have had no issue with their trucks. I hope I'm the same way as putting these systems on our trucks effectively voids the warranty. I'm okay with that to a point....major component failure still worries me with my truck as its only a baby with 8k on it.

I would think anyone running 275+hp tunes might be shortening the life of some components (tranny) which is why I just run the mild (80hp) tune on my truck.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:22 AM
Premium Member

Most people will tell you that you're actually increasing the trucks reliability and longevity by getting rid of that stuff. Makes sense to me. My tuner's coming in today so I don't have any experience but there's people here that have been running tuners and DPF/DOC deletes for 50,000 miles with no problems. The main thing you'll be fixing by doing the tune and delete will be the fuel in oil problem. I've got 43,000 on mine and I get about an extra 2-3 quarts out when I change my oil then what I put in. The tune gets rid of that problem.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to dsljnky
I would expect it to be like anything else, (im a 7.3 guy so i have no expieriance with the 6.4) and performance mods will "shorten" the life of your truck bc it was designed to opperate within the factory perameters and with performance mods your goingoutside those factory settings thus making the engine work harder, but as for me, im all about performance
Old 08-30-2010, 07:27 AM

With these mods the truck is actually running better and is better for the truck as long as you respect it, i would becareful with just doing the delete pipes, i have heard people have had problems of the soot still sticking in there, i would becareful and would only run a mild tune unless you got the whole exhaust but thats just me..
Old 08-30-2010, 07:43 AM

Delete it, ya don't need that emissions bs....

I'm trying to convince my dad he doesn't need it on his 6.4....now my 7.3 on the other hand....it doesn't even have a cat....
Old 08-30-2010, 08:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

The truck will actually be more reliable and efficient with a DPF Delete. Given its for off-road use only you know what I mean. :wink:
Old 08-30-2010, 09:16 AM

IMO, the tranny is the only thing you will be shortening the life of. But if you double the HP of the truck, you can't really get mad when tranny gives.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Your truck would be fine running the 210 and 250 tunes. There are guys that have logged 75-100,000+ miles problem free with even the 275 tune.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:30 AM
shhhhh, can you hear it?

is that with the tune on?i havent meet many 6.4 guys that have that many miles on their trucks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.