Cold Air Intakes and Snow and Debris - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2010, 08:26 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cold Air Intakes and Snow and Debris

I have read a few threads where members have encountered snow building/caking up their intakes during snow storms. It appears to have happened with the OEM filter box as well as some of the aftermarket CAI kits.

If you have encountered this, can you please share what CAI or OEM filter box you were running, what the environment was (how deep and wet the snow), what you did to either temporarily or permanently avoid this from happening.

I just got my 10 F250 and had a plow installed. I am in the process of choosing a tuner, staying with the OEM filter and filter box, using a drop in filter in the OEM box, or going with a S&B or AFE CAI. At this point in time, I plan to be running a 250 or lower tune but I keep hearing good things about the Kem 275 tune as a daily driver tune.

With the 2 snow storms of over 24" we received last winter, I am trying to be proactive as I don't want to be stranded on the side of the road during a blizzard because the engine can't breath or for any other reason.

Thanks for sharing.....

Neil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2010, 10:50 PM
Warheads on Foreheads

subscribed.....
Old 08-29-2010, 09:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

This is a bit off topic but I am shopping around for a 2010 and also live in MD, so if you don't mind me asking where did you pick up your truck and what kind of deal were you able to get?
Old 08-29-2010, 10:08 AM

I got mine in Houston, TX - 10 Lariat CC/SB 6.4 4x4 MSRP $54K for $41K + tag, tax, title. They had a matching pearl white one back on 6/30 and several other 10s. Some still listed on their website.

Best deal locally was either at Lanham, Sheehy (best selection of 10s), Annapolis or Ted Britt Ford but you have to know who you are talking to.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:11 AM

Another Sale Thread

Also see: Trying to work a deal on a 2010...what are they going for?

for where to find 2010s and how much.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:47 AM

I live in Colorado, so obviously, we get a LOT of snow. I never had to pull over to unclog a filter, but I have seen snow build up on the S&B and the stock system. They both pull air from the same location, so i don't think there is much you can do for this. I think it is a design flaw by Ford. I would have to say that it would be easier to clean out the stock system, since you do not have to take the whole thing apart to get to the filter like you would with the S&B.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil64 View Post
I got mine in Houston, TX - 10 Lariat CC/SB 6.4 4x4 MSRP $54K for $41K + tag, tax, title. They had a matching pearl white one back on 6/30 and several other 10s. Some still listed on their website.

Best deal locally was either at Lanham, Sheehy (best selection of 10s), Annapolis or Ted Britt Ford but you have to know who you are talking to.
By Lanham do you mean Darcars ford on 450? I have a hook up there that I might have to look into if that's the case. Last I checked on their online inventory they had practically nothing there though.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
S&B here and Ive never had an issue traveling in all types of snow and snow depths. But I dont have a plow like you have said you installed. That might kick up more snow towards the vent allowing it to suck more but I myself have never seen it.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:32 PM

Lanham Ford

Disnitch,

Yes I meant Lanham Ford. They only had 1 back in June. If you are willing to travel or do business over the phone and have a truck shipped, I can put you in touch with my salesman in Houston. Check out: McRee Ford Houston | New & Used Ford Houston, League City, Pasadena, Pearland Texas

Not only were they the cheapest, I had a really good sales experience. They do business with a handshake.

Remember, Texas is the pickup capital of the world.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:37 PM

Rodo,

What kind of CAI did you run that was unaffected by the snow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.