AFE Exhaust & CAI Questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2010, 01:01 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
AFE Exhaust & CAI Questions

I considering the Spartan Package currently on sale:

**Sale lasts through August 31, 2010**

Phalanx Flash Console w/13 custom tunes, AFE Full Down-Pipe Back 4" Stainless Steel Off-Road Exhaust System, AFE Stage II Cold Air Intake, PG7 Filter w/TorqueTube, This also includes the 275HP tune $1999.99

First, I want to keep my truck as stock as possible right now with the exception of adding a tuner and DOC/DPF delete. I will consider installing a CAI if the tune requires it. I have heard that I might need a CAI with a 250 tune or higher. I also have heard I won't so I guess it will be a trial and error thing. Right now, I prefer to retain all other elements of the stock exhaust - downpipe, dpf back.

Question 1. Does the above AFE exhaust system come with a traditional DOC/DPF pipe that will connect to the stock downpipe and DPF back OEM stock exhaust? If it does, it will enable me to later add the rest of the AFE pieces.

Question 2. I assume that the AFE torque tube does not come with the standard AFE Stage II CAI and therefore does not need to be used?

Question 3. It appears the AFE Stage II draws air from both the fender and under the hood. I have heard that the stock air filter housing can draw in snow during storms. Is there an easy way to temporarily block the AFE CAI from drawing in air from the fender to avoid snow caking?

Question 4. Has anyone tried the AFE PRO Dry S filter vs. the Pro Guard filters in a street driven truck?

I assume that I could always sell the exhaust and the CAI if I decide not use the so....

Thanks....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2010, 10:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Answer 1: The 4" downpipe back exhaust is a full exhaust system from the downpipe back. If you wanted to just run the DPF/DOC part of it, you would have to purchase a 4" to 3.5" reducer separate from someone who carries it or can get it. My question is, why not run the full downpipe back exhaust you are paying for? That is what makes this such a good deal after all.

Answer 2: Yes, the AFE torque tube does come with the Stage II intake. That is what makes it a Stage II.

Answer 3: This would be something worth creating a new thread for so that people that live in that kind of climate could answer that question without having to read through your entire post here. Maybe title it - "AFE Intake and Snow" or something along those lines.

Answer 4: All of the AFE filters are good, the Pro Guard 7 just gets the best reviews on filtration and quality....which is why we carry it and offer it with this package.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:47 AM

Mods

I am trying to keep the truck as stock as possible due to warranty concerns. I have less than 3000 miles on it and want to keep it in a 2-3 hour completely return to stock condition by myself if and when the need arises to take it to a dealership. And I am not the fastest shade tree mechanic out here.

Intake -1 hour from what I hear
DOC/DPF - 1 - 2 hours
Spartan - 20 minutes to reload stock tune
Down pipe - ?
DPF back exhaust - ?

Like so many of us, warranty has me on the fence to do any mods or trust me, the DOC/DPF would already be off. Heck, I am still considering doing a drop in air filter vs. a CAI. Also, I am trying to find the sweet spot for power increase to longevity. I believe all tunes increase stress on the truck but anything north of 300 seems very extreme to me. Before I bought my truck and before I had done all on the reading on these 6.4 forums, I would have said anything over 100 hp seems extreme.

And I really don't see myself running anything over 275 unless the new Spartan tune that is in development answers the request of so many of their customers in that it is much less aggressive for street driving. And from my research, that is KEM's niche - high horsepower , smooth shifts (street and off road friendly tuning). If it wasn't for the increase in MPG, I think I might stick to the 210 tune.

So I continue to research options and look for good deals and thought if I can't or won't use this stuff today, maybe I'll use it soon.

Thanks..
Old 08-28-2010, 11:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

The intake should not take an hour. Maybe 30-45 mins.

There is no downpipe with this kit, so it's just a directly bolt up exhaust to your stock downpipe. The entire exhaust is a bolt up system. The only cutting required is the tailpipe section. They come made for a CC/LB, so if you have a shorter truck, you just cut what isn't needed. Nothing too difficult. Most vendors will tell you that doing a full downpipe back exhaust is easier than piecing together a DPF/DOC delete pipe with a stock tail pipe.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:58 PM

Tailpipe

So it is a downpipe back system and does not include the downpipe?

How hard is it to get the factory over the axle pipe on and off while laying on the ground?

How loud is the system without a muffler? I prefer to have the system as quiet as stock.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
To answer your question about snow and intakes. I run a S&B intake and live and spend all winter in snowy areas snowmobiling, and I have never had an issue with snow building up or getting into the intake box.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:01 PM

Snow

Thanks. I am going follow Jeff's advise and create a thread on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.