hesitant, new to 6.4 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2010, 11:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to tonypagnano
hesitant, new to 6.4

hey guys i have been driving an 06 f350 6.0 for the past week and after thinking about it i think i would be better off spending the extra money and get a leftover 2010 f350. I just am scared of the fuel economy. i would like some suggestions from you guys. i was looking into a H&S Black Maxx tuner intake and exhaust. is it enough to just get a downpipe back dpf doc delete kit? as far as warranty goes i should theoretically be able to take out the black maxx and put the stock exhaust back under it to get it through? My maine worry other than that is the transmission. Is the H&S tuning going to 'send the tranny south fast? i won't be racing or launching the truck hardly ever but i know i'll use the power if it is there. Will the tranny put up with my right foot? i guess i'm just looking for some pointers here i really like the look and feel of these trucks. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2010, 12:25 AM

I was driving an 05 F-350 and bought an 08 F-350 dually I am fairly new to the 6.4 also but what I learned so far might be useful to you. I have all the original exhaust off, using the 4" Pro-Flo with the Edge Race Programmer p/n15500 that shuts the Regen off, also using an S&B airbox. I run synthetic Rotella and drive 32 miles one way to work with six start and stops. I am getting right now 19mpg with this commute. I feel that is outstanding for a
4x4 dually. I tow roughly 15,000 lb trailer about 10 times a year. My truck has almost 96,000 miles with no issues. This is a Job 1 truck so the trans is not the latest edition and I understand that the new trans is better. If your not towing anything you should be just fine. I recommend educating yourself some with articles and tests and I think you won't hesitate on the 6.4. I feel personally that they might become collectable as they are the last International Powerstroke only made three years.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Have you considered running Spartan tuning?
Old 08-24-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriea1 View Post
I was driving an 05 F-350 and bought an 08 F-350 dually I am fairly new to the 6.4 also but what I learned so far might be useful to you. I have all the original exhaust off, using the 4" Pro-Flo with the Edge Race Programmer p/n15500 that shuts the Regen off, also using an S&B airbox. I run synthetic Rotella and drive 32 miles one way to work with six start and stops. I am getting right now 19mpg with this commute. I feel that is outstanding for a
4x4 dually. I tow roughly 15,000 lb trailer about 10 times a year. My truck has almost 96,000 miles with no issues. This is a Job 1 truck so the trans is not the latest edition and I understand that the new trans is better. If your not towing anything you should be just fine. I recommend educating yourself some with articles and tests and I think you won't hesitate on the 6.4. I feel personally that they might become collectable as they are the last International Powerstroke only made three years.
19mpg hand calculated or dash read-out?
Does Edge have to have sensors installed in the exhaust?
What tune are you running to get the 19mpg?
Old 08-24-2010, 12:24 PM

If they made an excursion 6.4 I would be all over it.I have sold about 30 spartan tuners and have had only one trans problem but he also had 4 bald tires under 10k miles.I wouldn't hesitate to get a sprtan and a new 6.4.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:04 PM

I have had my black maxx for months and I run the "hot damn" tune as a daily driver. I have not had any issues with the tranny. I average about 16-18 MPG, hand calc. I really like the black maxx, I had an edge evolution before this tuner and it was not very good.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:43 PM

My mpgs are hand calculated. The Edge has the sensors in the pipe. I run the highest tune which is 4. I have not considered the Spartan. I have a bed cover coming and a Job 3 front air dam ordered, so I am hoping for maybe one or two more mpg, if not I am still happy with the 19. I will be installing a Spearco Intercooler by winter and so I will post the results from that too. I have a savings account for the transmission and stash away a few bucks here and there for when it goes out, because I know it will and I am ok with that, transmissions are the weak link in every vehicle. I have another three camping trips planned for this year and that will take me over 100,000 miles on the truck, hopfully will no problems.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriea1 View Post
My mpgs are hand calculated. The Edge has the sensors in the pipe. I run the highest tune which is 4. I have not considered the Spartan. I have a bed cover coming and a Job 3 front air dam ordered, so I am hoping for maybe one or two more mpg, if not I am still happy with the 19. I will be installing a Spearco Intercooler by winter and so I will post the results from that too. I have a savings account for the transmission and stash away a few bucks here and there for when it goes out, because I know it will and I am ok with that, transmissions are the weak link in every vehicle. I have another three camping trips planned for this year and that will take me over 100,000 miles on the truck, hopfully will no problems.
You would not have to worry about the transmission with proper transmission tuning. The 5R110W is not a weak link in these truck when tuned properly. Also, the 19 MPG you are claiming is hard to believe. From your avatar picture, it looks like you have a F-350 CC/LB DRW....which means your truck most likely has 4.10 gears and weighs close to 8500 lbs. Not the best combo for the mileage you claim.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:25 PM

i hav,e 2008 6.4 f-250 and a 2006 6.0 f-350 dual. 6.4 was at 11.5 mpg, added afe cold air, dpf/cat del pipe and sct livewire tuner. mpg up to 15.5
Old 08-24-2010, 05:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just picked up a minimaxx and love it. For the price I don't think it can be beat. I got mine with the dpf/cat delete, and S&B intake for less than 1400 shipped. As far as mileage goes, on a 250 cc/sb, with full synthenic fluids in everything, I'm pulling down a solid 19+ hand calc. Now this is being very gentle on the go pedal cause that goes down fast when the black smoke and white smoke start flying.

I hear ya on the tranny worries, with how powerful the truck is and the feeling of those shifts slamming home when your on the pedal is a little concerning, but everywhere you read there are guys driving these things like they stole them with spartan, sct, and h&s with no problems. When all is said and done though it's totally worth it, and it's one of those few mods that will actually pay for it's self.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.