safe range when towing - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2010, 06:22 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
safe range when towing

I have an 08 f350 single rear wheel job3 with 37" tires on 4" lift. It has a spartan 250 tune, full exhaust and s&b intake. I pull a 35' fith wheel that ways around 9k lbs or so. When going up a hill my boost gauge pegs out at 40 psi. My question is....what are the safe limits for boost when pulling. Do I need to go to the 210 tune?? It just pulls so good on the 250 tune but I dont want to blow the truck up. Is there anything I need to keep a close eye on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2010, 06:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

You can watch boost on the DashDAQ to see what you are actually seeing. It is listed as Manifold Gauge Pressure. It's usually not boost you need to worry about....except if you blow off a boot. High boost is followed up with high exhaust back pressure, which can blow head gaskets. As long as your back pressure is under 70, then you should be good. Do you monitor tranny temp, engine oil temp, and engine coolant temp when you tow? Those are also very important.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:53 PM

All my temps seem to be normal. I have only been on two trips with my new camper. Is it safe to tow that much with the 250 tune and those big tires.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I personally wouldn't do it, but then again I don't tow....so I don't know for sure. Have you tried using the 210 Tow Performance?
Old 08-13-2010, 07:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I don’t think I would do that. Go to trailer life and ask over there and see what they tell you…
Old 08-13-2010, 08:34 PM

I pull 35' toy hauler with two Harley's in it roll across the scales at 14,240. My truck weighed 8420. The highest EGT I saw was 1120 going up a 4% grade. To me EGT is the biggest issue. Then keep an eyeon the trans temp. Do you have DPF Delete and an airbox? I use the edge tuner set on the second setting, my memory is failing me and I can't recall the power and tq on it. I know its not over a 100hp and unless your drag racing with your trailer on I don't see the need to go any higher.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.