Beating a dead horse, mini max question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2010, 05:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Beating a dead horse, mini max question

When I picked up my truck from the stealer yesterday after having the stuck EGR fixed I asked about an aftermarket intake. The service manager said no way, they would probably void any warranty having to do with the motor. He then proceeded to tell me, on his own, that they have had guys try to bring trucks in that have had a tuner on them. I acted as if I was not familiar with them and he then told me that they had a guy blow a head gasket and happened to be using a tuner. He said that the guy reflashed the computer before bringing it in, but did not let the truck run for a while therefore it did not restore the stock program. He also said that for an entire engine failure Ford would most definitely dig deep enough to see if anything had been done to the truck.
My question is, do you have to try and run the truck after reinstalling the stock to in order to remove the obvious traces of the tuner?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2010, 05:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Ive heard to let it go through 1 regen...wondering the same thing. If something is bad wrong, how you gonna let it go through regen? Just wondering...
Old 08-13-2010, 04:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I realize the tuners are reluctant to say anything for fear that someone will try to hold them liable, but I'll bet they know whether it's true or not.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The short answer is how mus BS do you want to go through? It is my understanding that SCT and SPARTA both reprogram the entire file of the ecu. That does not say that they can't program a counter or have other event reporting. I have not heard anybody being exposed by these methods. But what can be proven is that something was changed or tampered with, by distance since last regen, tool marks, scorched pistons, twisted drive shaft. This is not to say that it can't happen stock, but you will have to fight through some BS if something catastrophic happens. They can blanket deny everything on your truck if they wan't to, then it will be up to you to fight them for it. The biggest thing I have seen is weather the tech knows what he/she is doing. An inexperienced or lazy tech could use these hints to start you on a road of trouble. Just my 2 cent.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Is there a way to remove the DPF/DOC without them being able to tell? I have read on this site that it is easier to remove the DPF/DOC together and just disconnect it from the down pipe and then at the exhaust. I really want to do the delete, but I have an extended warranty and have had problems with the truck already. I have no problem re-installing the DPF/DOC for warranty work, I just don't want to get stuck with a giant repair bill. Why don't the tuners write a program that places regens and other info onto the ecu files?
Old 08-15-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isellpower View Post
Is there a way to remove the DPF/DOC without them being able to tell? I have read on this site that it is easier to remove the DPF/DOC together and just disconnect it from the down pipe and then at the exhaust. I really want to do the delete, but I have an extended warranty and have had problems with the truck already. I have no problem re-installing the DPF/DOC for warranty work, I just don't want to get stuck with a giant repair bill. Why don't the tuners write a program that places regens and other info onto the ecu files?
Its easy to remove the DPF/ DOC together. Couple flange bolts at the downpipe and then just some clamps at the exhaust coupling. I got mine out in two pieces.... one being the DPF/ DOC, the other being the exhaust section. You cant tell by looking at mine that Ive tampered with anything. Helps a lot having H&S and not having to remove the exhaust sensors for sure.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Make it go through one regen cycle, you can force a regen by unplugging the DPF pressure sensor on the DPF and once it starts regen simply plug it back and allow it to complete the process.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:42 PM

Good Info

Subscribing. Good info on how to force a regen. I am in the market for a tuner and Ford Detection avoidance is at the top of my criteria.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:30 AM

I was getting my windows tinted the other day and walked into a local diesel performance shop while I was waiting. Those guys were all about the H&S and informed me that they "send trucks in for warranty all the time" and infact had one at the dealer right then for a turbo seal issue and all they did was set the tune back to stock, reinstall the dpf/doc and drove it over there. They said they never had a problem.
The particualr dealer they go to is pretty far from my house and the dealer I bought the truck from is down the street, but I think I will go to the dealer they use since they don't seem to check for any tuning. All of the trucks this shop works on have like 18 inch lifts and 42s with all sorts of chrome and bling. If the dealer doesn't check those out, I think I'll be safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.