ATTENTION: CANADIAN DPF DELETE CUSTOMERS - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2010, 09:00 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ATTENTION: CANADIAN DPF DELETE CUSTOMERS

I spoke at length today with an engineer from FoMoCo. We got to the topic of DPF deletes.

ANY TAMPERING WITH THE DIESEL PARTICULATE FILTER ON A 2008+ TRUCK IS IMMEDIATE GROUNDS FOR WARRANTY REFUSAL -- NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

This is from FORD OF CANADA, not the dealer I work at, or a dealer near me, FORD CANADA.

The reasoning behind this, is you've tampered with an emissions component. Poof. There goes the emissions warranty. Now, you've had to MODIFY the PCM programming to outside it's normal parameters (Unless you're running the export calibration, which I doubt any of you guys are doing, since it's a de-rated tune) and this is considered tampering also, on the powertrain level, since the module is commanding powertrain components to outside their design parameters.

Now, A lot of guys will turn a blind eye to this, but from time to time, if an engineer or a warranty inspector comes out, you may run into issues, especially with an engine related failure. A lot of 6.4 failures go beyond the prior approval level and need to have an inspection done by Ford of Canada to approve the warranty repair.

I don't know for sure, but likely they will be looking for tool marks, freshly installed components, and the like. It is to my understanding that Ford has a LOT of poop in the PCM that can be accessed on an engineering level, and this may include how many times the module has been flashed, what calibration was in it last, etc, etc. I know there are a few indicators I can see (being that I'm an IDS 'Power User' and know a bunch of stuff that I'm probably not supposed to ) or even at the regular level using the regular IDS software that can indicate a recent PCM flash.

Just throwing this out there.

Be careful, and in some cases: you will have to pay to play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2010, 09:09 PM
Warheads on Foreheads

thanks for the post, good info
Old 07-29-2010, 09:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Thank god I live in the great USofA.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:19 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Thank God I have a mod friendly dealer! LOL if I get a 6.4 that will be the first thing I do to it. DPF/DOC Delete, AFE Stage II, and an SCT TSX.

I love my dealer. I'm under an extended warranty with ARP's, EGR Delete, SCT, and 4" Straight Pipe. They actually tried to sell me a programmer
Old 07-30-2010, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac97psd View Post
Thank god I live in the great USofA.
Ya... Cause our dealers won't deny warranty for dpf delete/tunes...... and we can't get fined 10k if we get caught....
Old 07-30-2010, 04:36 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleE44 View Post
Ya... Cause our dealers won't deny warranty for dpf delete/tunes...... and we can't get fined 10k if we get caught....
It has started in Commiefornia, my friend.... and will soon be coming to a state near you. Been told the guys doing the inspections have access to DMV database, so if the truck is plated in the database, even if there is no plate on it... the INSTALLING FACILITY sees a $10k fine PER UNIT found ON SITE.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleE44 View Post
Um my dealer won't deny the warranty. If they will replace a motor that they knew that I had nitrous on it and get that mustang also inspected with no cats. I think I don't have to worry about that. Plus I already talk to my service manager and the GM of the dealership and they said they won't void any warranty issue if any comes up. They said if I return everything to stock then they will cover me. It also helps the GM and my Dad have been good friends for over 25 years.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac97psd View Post
Um my dealer won't deny the warranty. If they will replace a motor that they knew that I had nitrous on it and get that mustang also inspected with no cats. I think I don't have to worry about that. Plus I already talk to my service manager and the GM of the dealership and they said they won't void any warranty issue if any comes up. They said if I return everything to stock then they will cover me. It also helps the GM and my Dad have been good friends for over 25 years.
Here ya go bud:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Angry Hillbilly View Post
Now, A lot of guys will turn a blind eye to this, but from time to time, if an engineer or a warranty inspector comes out, you may run into issues, especially with an engine related failure. A lot of 6.4 failures go beyond the prior approval level and need to have an inspection done by Ford of Canada to approve the warranty repair.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I dont see why we would have been any different than the US market.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:21 AM
Powerstroke Techie

When it all comes down to it, you're modifying your vehicle to not meet emissions standards, and sometimes almost doubling the factory horsepower output with no real mechanical supporting modifications. Stuff is GONNA break. As well, EVERYBODY knows that it's a violation of Federal EPA mandated law, so sooner or later, there's a risk of getting caught, especially running a straight pipe that's real easy to see that it's not a DPF.

I am neither advocating or condemning these processes, I am just stating facts that I know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.