Opinions on 6.4 smoking - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2010, 12:44 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Opinions on 6.4 smoking

All,

I need some ideas on what may be going on with my truck and if it is something that can be or needs to be fixed. I have been running the extreme street tune on the SCT for about a year now. Just recently, a few months, I have been noticing the amount of smoke (black) coming out of the exhaust has been getting heavier. I used to just see it on really hard take offs and now I see it on even the mildest of accelerations. Its gotten to the point that my bumper behind the pipe is constantly black. Any ideas what is going on or if it is signs of something bad brewing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2010, 12:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Any hint of blue in it? When mine did that it was the DPF going out.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:00 PM

Sorry, I forgot to mention no CAT/DPF
Old 07-26-2010, 01:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

smoke

I have a 08 job 3 truck Spartan 250 tune dpf delete and the same thing happened to me. I changed to the 210 tune and it cured it or at least 90% of it. Does this make any sense?
Old 07-27-2010, 02:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I am also running the 250 tune on my 08 job 3 and have noticed more smoke on slower accelerations lately. It used to only smoke when i mashed the pedal.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:48 PM

I would start with just reloading the tune..other then that I would just make sure that you dont have a boost leak or excesively dirty airfilter. I know that these trucks have some sort of adaptive fuel dilivery that works with how you drive....may have something to do with that.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:53 PM

i wouldnt worry about the smoke, my truck smokes like that on the 250 tune also, it is a race tune
Old 07-27-2010, 10:07 PM
shhhhh, can you hear it?

race tune shouldnt mean its ok or normal to waste fuel.obviously a race tune loads the eng with more fuel but it should use it as well.im in agreement with reloading your tune or switching to another one.also contact the tuner company and see what they have to say about it.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to haywired
Smoking AND False MPG Readings

I saw this thread and I felt I needed to give my story as well. I'm still yet to figure this one out. Here is what I have:

2008 F-250, 60k miles, 6.4
Airaid Aid Intake
Downpipe-back 4" exhaust kit (no cat, dpf, or muffler)
SCT Livewire

Here is my scenario: When I first tuned the truck with the Extreme tune, using mostly the default options, using the Firm(Race) tranny option - I get the same thing you all are talking about. On even gentle acceleration, I get a constant stream of smoke blowing out of my tailpipe. The truck also seems to smoke a good amount while idling, and the turbo goes through a continuous "respool" where every now and then you can hear the turbo spool back up and start hissing again. It does this about every minute.

Secondly, my instrument cluster shows anywhere from 15 to 17 MPG (city driving) and up to 23 MPG (highway driving). HOWEVER, when manually calculating the MPG, I am only getting about 12 city and 16 highway. Extreme is the only tune that this happens with. Performance, Tow, and Stock tunes are all accurate readings on the instrument cluster.

One thing I tried: I set the option for "I have disabled the vehicle's emissions (EGR) system" or whatever it says to YES. I don't have an EGR block kit, but knowing what I know about EGR, I decided to see what it would do.

The results are - I'm getting the typical "puff" of smoke on start, with no smoke during regular acceleration. If I floor it, it pours black smoke. And no more smoking at idle or turbo spooling. Seems normal.

Only problem - when doing this, my MPG doesn't get any better (still about 12 city). I was getting this MPG with a dang filter!

Any ideas?

Last edited by haywired; 07-28-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywired View Post
I saw this thread and I felt I needed to give my story as well. I'm still yet to figure this one out. Here is what I have:

2008 F-250, 60k miles, 6.4
Airaid Aid Intake
Downpipe-back 4" exhaust kit (no cat, dpf, or muffler)
SCT Livewire

Here is my scenario: When I first tuned the truck with the Extreme tune, using mostly the default options, using the Firm(Race) tranny option - I get the same thing you all are talking about. On even gentle acceleration, I get a constant stream of smoke blowing out of my tailpipe. The truck also seems to smoke a good amount while idling, and the turbo goes through a continuous "respool" where every now and then you can hear the turbo spool back up and start hissing again. It does this about every minute.

Secondly, my instrument cluster shows anywhere from 15 to 17 MPG (city driving) and up to 23 MPG (highway driving). HOWEVER, when manually calculating the MPG, I am only getting about 12 city and 16 highway. Extreme is the only tune that this happens with. Performance, Tow, and Stock tunes are all accurate readings on the instrument cluster.

One thing I tried: I set the option for "I have disabled the vehicle's emissions (EGR) system" or whatever it says to YES. I don't have an EGR block kit, but knowing what I know about EGR, I decided to see what it would do.

The results are - I'm getting the typical "puff" of smoke on start, with no smoke during regular acceleration. If I floor it, it pours black smoke. And no more smoking at idle or turbo spooling. Seems normal.

Only problem - when doing this, my MPG doesn't get any better (still about 12 city). I was getting this MPG with a dang filter!

Any ideas?
I have a question about the EGR valve. Do you have to select somewhere in the tuning process to turn it off or is it programed to be off? If it needs to be selected to be off can someone explain where I do this. I was considering a block off plate but everywhere I read the SCT custom tunes turn it off. Someone please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.