Why does the Spartan require sensors while H&S does not? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2010, 10:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Why does the Spartan require sensors while H&S does not?

Really on the fence between the Spartan and H&S. From what I can tell the two big pluses for the H&S are changing tunes on the fly and not needing any sensors in the exhaust. Spartans advantage seems to be the 13 tunes out of the box. Which I really like that.

Why does the Spartan require the sensors in the exhaust? If HS can do away with them you would think Spartan could as well. Is there some sort of benefit to keeping them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2010, 12:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Old 07-23-2010, 02:45 PM

I'm gonna throw the first punch.....It's because Spartan has better features overall, better service, better support, better tech help, better nachos, and a partridge in a pear tree when it comes to giving the customer a variety of options right out of the box. I don't own, use, read about, google, bing..or even bother flipping the pages of DieselPower when I see the H&S add...nor do I even know what time zone the sales office is in.Don't care to either. I'm sure they are great people but I'm not wasting money to dumb down in a tuner to find out. I have yet to see H&S match the functionality of the Spartan...and most people running H&S are in my rear veiw mirror 99.99999 % of the time (kickin' themselves for trying to run against me and my Spartan)

There... I said it.. NEXT???
Old 07-23-2010, 02:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

There are plenty of threads available to discuss who is better, or who they think is better. Nothing that you have stated has anything to do with the topic, nor help the OP in any way in answering their question. I think there are many things in your statement that are up for debate, but this isn't really the thread to do it. Even if it was, it always ends up bad and does nothing productive. Lets keep it on track please.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:59 PM

I will keep it on track going forward sir. you are correct.. i was trying to get in on the action since 68 people read this post and only us 3 have replied... i stand by my statements regardless...there are WAYYYY too many posts of this same questions being asked over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and....you get the point. good night!! =)
Old 07-23-2010, 03:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I agree about the same questions being asked over and over. One of the reasons that they don't get answered is you get the same few guys that instantly post " Brand X is better" and disregard the real question being asked. Both companies have a lot to offer, and each have their own unique selling features. To say that one company is the best, is not very accurate, when in a lot ways you are comparing apples to oranges. The features that appeal to one customer may not even be important to the next. The good thing is that there are many options available to the consumer, and in that regard, the consumer wins.

As to the original post, we see no benefit to having the sensors re-installed into the aftermarket exhaust. The readings you would get from a sensor installed that far down the exhaust stream are really not of much use. The factory operating code shuts down the starter if the sensors are removed, and that is why you must re-install them with all other tuners on the market. We just modified the code in order for the engine to start without sensors. We saw way too many guys breaking sensors trying to get them out of the factory exhaust, so we spent a lot of time figuring out the code. Hopefully this helps answer the question you had, but if not feel free to ask, as I am always glad to answer a question if I can.

Casey
Old 07-23-2010, 05:21 PM

Another thing to consider if you are on the fence is H&S allows you to adjust your speedo for tire size, while Spartan costs $100 for them to adjust 3 tunes for you. If you ever plan to change your tire size, this might be something to consider.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

h&s offers shift on the fly and FREE, did i say FREE! software upgrades and tunes. Good question why doesn't Spartan delete the sensors?..
Old 07-23-2010, 06:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'm leaning toward H&S due to not having to mess with the sensors. I am buying an extended warranty and it will make it easier to reinstall the dpf/cat if it has to go in for work. They both do seem to be well liked by most all customers. I also hear nothing but praise from each tuner pertaining to the other. It is also nice that they are both active on the boards. My Viper tuner is also very active on the boards and I got a sense of what he was like from reading his posts for a year.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:25 PM
Warheads on Foreheads

I think stevep needs to read the sticky from the mods in which they discourage the exact kind of stupid posting that do not help answer the OP question and start an unnecessary pissing match.
Attention Please Read
Quote:
Why does the Spartan require the sensors in the exhaust? If HS can do away with them you would think Spartan could as well. Is there some sort of benefit to keeping them?
As to the OP, there are pros and cons to each tuner. Do your research on each and see which one fits your needs the best. I believe Casey answered your question about why H&S doesn't need to reinstall sensors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.