Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

the perfect 6.4...

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Stanley F350 
#1 ·
im trying to do a little research for my boss who has an 08 f-350 dually. he drives 50k plus miles a year. whats to try to improve fuel milage as much as possible, but still be able to tow and beat his buddys duramax when he wants to play while still having a reliable truck for work. what all does he need to do to his truck to make the perfect 6.4? programmer? egr? dpf? exhaust? what about head studs. does it need to be restuded like the 6.0? all advise would be greatly appreciated... like i said looking to make the perfect everday 6.4 that can work and play

#6 ·
I would go with a good intake, a spartan 250 tune and the dpf delete. With those three things done you will have to problem with the duramax or the reliability/driveability of the truck. When you run the 250 tune your egr will be closed so a full egr delete wont be needed. As far as the studs go, its not needed. There are many many trucks that run the 250 tune and dont have an issue. The only thing I would add to your list is a TCM especially if his truck is a job 1, but its a good upgrade for all the trucks.

#7 ·
head studs are more like insurance when you start runnig at the 250 or i havent run the hot damn tune yet just cas i dont want anything to happen but it should be fine. i have a 5" turbo back dpf delete, airaid, h&s black max, egr block off, i got 18 pulling 3 jetskis to the lake today in the mild tune, not bad compared to the 12 i was getting before, i also have a cap on the back that prolly helps a lil bit..

#10 ·
Whats TCM stand for?

#13 ·
Spartan tuner, AFE delete pipe or downpipe back exhaust, and AFE or S&B intake. We have kits on our website or you can check out one of dealers like Rudy's Diesel Performance or Performance Truck Products.

#14 ·
thanks for the info

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.