6.4 Mod Help process - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2010, 10:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.4 Mod Help process

Sorry I am not the Ford guy anymore as I was in the past. However my father is holding ground for the both of us. In market for truck to upgrade from his F-150 hoopdie... Was gonna go 6.7 but can't really suffice the big money they are for something he just needs to tow and hold his friends. The nice thing is the 6.7 mileage being better than 6.4. I thought for a bit I had him convinced to get a 7.3 in the late body style but I think he wants newer look to it. I know the 6.4''s had some problems. One for instance is at a dealer used with 41K miles. What are some things to ask and check for. What are some issues to lookforward to. Also if he gets used he gave me the ok to have at it So. Tuner, exhaust, intakes whatever gets him some better fuel mileage. Along with getting some better power for towing, good mileage for daily driver tune. NOW with that said heres what I wanna knwo and if I should get any supporting mods. Note I do like to do things right the first time and if it means a few bucks to get something worth it I do.

Move around or add something to the order:
1- Exhaust w/ dpf delete. Nothing gutted all the way maybe leave a muffler so its not to loud for the ol guy
2- intake if needed for that level of power which isn't much
3- tuner for all codes. Really just need some mileage and some towing tune. Something easy for him to switch between or just have a single tune for all of it. I'll be the only one working on it, as well has tuning and all that im good. Just need to know when im not around which I hope is 100% of the time he can handle it haha
4-what other mods you may say can help that 6.4 for longevity, durability, and mileage more important.
\
Note: My ol man is tuff on equipment but in no way "Beats" his stuff. Just a lack of maintenance guy, but thats where I come in. I am hoping he gets the truck being I went Duramax (sorry fellas had to try it out and love it for what I do with the truck). But am excited to hopefully play with his.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2010, 10:17 AM

I'd get him a Spartan set-up which will give him a 210 two tune and 250 race tune along with about 8 or 9 others I think. He wont need headstuds or anything unless he goes up to the higher tunes. Then he'll need and intake and exaust and will be good to go.

Intake - either S&B or AFE
Exhaust - 4" or 5" whichever he prefers
Old 07-14-2010, 10:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Spartan with the basic level 1 license, AFE Stage II intake, and whatever exhaust soots the eye! If you have an questions, just let me know.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Go with what Jeff says he knows his stuff I have Spartan and LOVE it its worth every penny!
Old 07-14-2010, 10:40 AM

Yea I knew spartan was the way to go. I figured that would be the right answer. Now I have EFI livef or my chevy.. is that the same stuff as in its a scanner that you'll plug into a laptop and tune that way? Special tuners build them or is it just spartan themselves that tune.

I figured just have him do a DPF delete kit if they make the replacemtn pipe to just sleeve in. I can see if he wants it any louder so then we'll go 4". 5" I always found to drone more and again he wants to know its running sure, just not loud like my setup haha.

Intake I figure sure, but if the stock one is good for basic power. Keeping it somewhat cheap sure, however gettng good stuff. I would deff go spartan. Do they have a switchable setup in the cab. And if he doesn't get anything big power like you were saying a 250 or so tune sounds almost to much. But again just strong and mileage. He will not be racing crap. The stock truck alone is fast eenough over his f-150haha. And he isn't beatin my duramax so thats that. Hhahaha.. being im buiding his truck it won't beat it of course.

So I say leave intake for now, cause if its open setup he'll never clean it. And maybe a MBRP 4" kit with a muffler so its not to loud and a nice tip on it so she looks good and not that hidious stock crap.
So again is there a switchable setup in cab on the fly type stuff.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Our tuner is a flash device. No one else can make the tunes for the DashDAQ but us. The tunes cannot be switched on the fly like EFILive can be with the those DSP switches. The tuner flashes both the ECM and TCM with every tune. You can get away with running the stock intake up to the 210 tune, but the 250 tune needs an aftermarket filter (at least a drop in AFE or something).
Old 07-14-2010, 11:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Spartan is the choice I would make, but if he wants to adjust power levels on the fly you could go with the H&S.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:09 AM

Ok so I personally think to make it easy is to just have 1 tune loaded that can do all were looking for. I like the fact of switchable but he doen'st care and can't be bothered with even remembering. So with that said I know Spartan being best tuning, what is the startup costs or what vendor on here sells it and supports it? So I can talk some.

He is going to pick up the 2008 today I think so we wanna get rolling.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:35 AM

The H&S Blackmaxx seems to be the choice for the guys who want a shift-on-the-fly tuner
Old 07-15-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moroney167 View Post
Ok so I personally think to make it easy is to just have 1 tune loaded that can do all were looking for. I like the fact of switchable but he doen'st care and can't be bothered with even remembering. So with that said I know Spartan being best tuning, what is the startup costs or what vendor on here sells it and supports it? So I can talk some.

He is going to pick up the 2008 today I think so we wanna get rolling.

If your just looking to run one tune all the time and not worried about running 13 second quarter mile times then look into the H&S XRT. 2008-2010 Ford 6.4L XRT
It's half the price of the Spartan or Black Maxx tuners and will do what your asking just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.