Rear End Noise Quesion, dealer says it's because of DPF Delete and DPF Back Exhaust. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2010, 11:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rear End Noise Quesion, dealer says it's Resonationbecause of DPF Delete and Exhaust.

First I will start by saying I love my truck even with some small querky problems.

About 7 months ago I took my truck into the dealer because of some rear end whine and they replaced the gear for be for free as the truck had just run out of warranty. An important note, at that time my truck was completely stock.

About a month ago my rear end started to whine again at 40 MPH or so. I took the truck in last week and they readjusted the lash and pinion depth and they said it was perfect. They documented that it had a heal toe condition on their report.

The rear end is still whining, maybe even worse than before, and they say that it is resonation from my exhaust. Since I had the problem last time I installed a DPF Delete and Banks DPF Back Exhaust. The dealer is a chevy dealer where i bought the truck so they don't care about the DPF off.

I guess my questions are does this resonating reason sound feasible? If so can i get rid of it?

I somewhat think the issue is that the gear has worn bad and the adjustment is now different and wearing different. Is this feasible? Will the gear work it's way in? The last setup only had about 8k on it before it was reset.

Help, what other options do I have I don't have the stock DPF back exhaust as I cut it off when I installed my Banks version.

Last edited by johnny9r; 07-11-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2010, 07:58 AM
Premium Member

Sounds like the R&P are not shimmed correctly. Take it to a Ford Dealer and have them R+R the Ring and Pinion. They should also check for wear.

Then you should be good to go!

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny9r View Post
First I will start by saying I love my truck even with some small querky problems.

About 7 months ago I took my truck into the dealer because of some rear end whine and they replaced the gear for be for free as the truck had just run out of warranty. An important note, at that time my truck was completely stock.

About a month ago my rear end started to whine again at 40 MPH or so. I took the truck in last week and they readjusted the lash and pinion depth and they said it was perfect. They documented that it had a heal toe condition on their report.

The rear end is still whining, maybe even worse than before, and they say that it is resonation from my exhaust. Since I had the problem last time I installed a DPF Delete and Banks DPF Back Exhaust. The dealer is a chevy dealer where i bought the truck so they don't care about the DPF off.

I guess my questions are does this resonating reason sound feasible? If so can i get rid of it?

I somewhat think the issue is that the gear has worn bad and the adjustment is now different and wearing different. Is this feasible? Will the gear work it's way in? The last setup only had about 8k on it before it was reset.

Help, what other options do I have I don't have the stock DPF back exhaust as I cut it off when I installed my Banks version.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:01 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Sounds to me like they kept the truck for the day, told you they ****ed with the backlash settings, and shipped it out.

At 40mph, does it come and go when you're in/out of the throttle?

Take the exhaust off, from the downpipe back, leave the EGT's tie-strapped to the frame rail, and take it in. There. Resonate this, ****ers....

I think they're full of poop, but I can't hear the noise from here.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Angry Hillbilly View Post
Sounds to me like they kept the truck for the day, told you they ****ed with the backlash settings, and shipped it out.

At 40mph, does it come and go when you're in/out of the throttle?

Take the exhaust off, from the downpipe back, leave the EGT's tie-strapped to the frame rail, and take it in. There. Resonate this, ****ers....

I think they're full of poop, but I can't hear the noise from here.
Noise does come and go when your in and out of the throttle, even when going over bumpy roads where the rear end unloads a bit. Everything is throttle relaed.

Going tomorrow to complain, had a friend who is a ASE Master Mechanic go for a ride tonight and he says they are full of poop
Old 07-13-2010, 05:23 PM

is it going to hurt to drive the 10 miles to the dealer with the exhaust off after the down pipe?
Old 07-13-2010, 05:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Haha, you guys said poop
Old 07-13-2010, 10:45 PM
Powerstroke Techie

It's not gonna be GREAT, but it ain't gonna burn anything up, I don't think. If it comes down to it, leave the delete pipe only on. Support it somehow, so it doesn't bust the downpipe. If you do run it downpipe only, don't beat on it. Keep the EGT's low.

I think that the rear ring and pinion is likely noisy, or the gear is set up incorrectly (which is causing said noise).

What SPECIFICALLY does the original repair order say? The heel - toe business?

Also -- if they are blaming the exhaust...have the guy roll down the road in the truck, and listen for the noise. Shut the key off. If the noise goes away, it's the exhaust (****ing UNLIKELY). The exhaust noise would have started from DAY ONE after you put it on the truck. You'd have noticed it right away, and went "What the hell is that noise?".

I think, personally, the noise is in the rear end, HOWEVER -- I have seen weird noises like this caused by driveline components as well (bent driveshaft, dinged driveshaft, incorrect driveline angles, etc.) So I'd take it to a COMPETENT shop and have it diagnosed, because it sounds to me like the guys you got working on it can't fix poop.

Hey Jeff -- I said poop again. Twice now. Poop poop poop poop poop poopity poop.

LMAO.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Old 07-14-2010, 09:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to cj performance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Angry Hillbilly View Post
It's not gonna be GREAT, but it ain't gonna burn anything up, I don't think. If it comes down to it, leave the delete pipe only on. Support it somehow, so it doesn't bust the downpipe. If you do run it downpipe only, don't beat on it. Keep the EGT's low..
Ive got about 4k miles of open downpipe on the 310 tune with mine. truck keeps breaking so i got tired of going back and forth..
Old 07-25-2010, 05:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My 2010 F350 dually had same problem, started to whine at 40 to 45 mph. Just got worse so took it in and they changed ring & pinion. Still did seem right when I picked it up felt like it had too much gear lash. Well whine came back after 600 miles, took it back they changed ring & pinion again and set gear lash to a different setting. So far so good and that was 5000 miles ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.