H&S Mini Maxx Questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
H&S Mini Maxx Questions

I stripped off the DPF and Cat on Tuesday and downloaded my Mini Maxx programming and now I have some questions. I'm running a AFE Turbo-back exhaust with a stock exhaust. I did do the trans relearn for the truck too.

> Why are the shifts SO HARD going into second and third? I was running the mild tune and got fed up with the shifts so now I am using the stock tune and the shifts are much better, but still a little too firm for my liking. Is there a way to soften them?

> When running the mild tune, if I give the truck a little more gas than quarter pedal, I get a lot of valve noise. It's like I can't get the truck to do an "easy" take off from a dead stop. It's like I have to go fast from a dead stop to clear up the valve noise. Is this normal? Maybe I can hear more engine noise since the exhaust is free flow?

I'm like the my no DPF truck, but I'm not too impressed with the tuner. I rode in my buddies truck that has a SCT and I was much more impressed with the quality.

Any help with my questions would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2010, 11:34 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Should have gone with Spartan. J/k With spartan there is a way to relearn your tranny so I don't know if H&S has something like that. Also how many miles have you put on your truck since the tuner?
Old 07-02-2010, 11:39 AM

Haha. I did the tranny relearn. I wish the process was as easy as it was on my GMC with PPE programming. All I had to do was push a button on the programmer when I changed tunes.

I've put 200 miles on the truck since adding the tuner.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:42 AM

Have you added a half of quart of tranny fluid? I did that to mine and it helped out.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:49 AM

I didn't see adding tranny fluid anywhere in the install directions. Do you really need to do this?
Old 07-02-2010, 12:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I installed my mini maxx about a month ago. I did the trans relearn process twice in a row. During the first week I would occasionally get a harder than expected shift. The more I drive the truck the better the shifting. I am very happy with the way my tuner works. I have been experimenting, using the 175 tune for a tank and the 250 tune for a tank, trying to see which tune gets the best mileage.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1828 View Post
I installed my mini maxx about a month ago. I did the trans relearn process twice in a row. During the first week I would occasionally get a harder than expected shift. The more I drive the truck the better the shifting. I am very happy with the way my tuner works. I have been experimenting, using the 175 tune for a tank and the 250 tune for a tank, trying to see which tune gets the best mileage.
Thanks for the reply. Are you using an aftermarket air filter?
Old 07-02-2010, 12:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes, I have a S&B air box, a 4 inch ss flo pro exhaust from the down pipe back and I down loaded the hot damn tunes from H&S. I will post my mileage after I have run thru a few tanks of gas.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stgear View Post
I stripped off the DPF and Cat on Tuesday and downloaded my Mini Maxx programming and now I have some questions. I'm running a AFE Turbo-back exhaust with a stock exhaust. I did do the trans relearn for the truck too.

> Why are the shifts SO HARD going into second and third? I was running the mild tune and got fed up with the shifts so now I am using the stock tune and the shifts are much better, but still a little too firm for my liking. Is there a way to soften them?

> When running the mild tune, if I give the truck a little more gas than quarter pedal, I get a lot of valve noise. It's like I can't get the truck to do an "easy" take off from a dead stop. It's like I have to go fast from a dead stop to clear up the valve noise. Is this normal? Maybe I can hear more engine noise since the exhaust is free flow?

I'm like the my no DPF truck, but I'm not too impressed with the tuner. I rode in my buddies truck that has a SCT and I was much more impressed with the quality.

Any help with my questions would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!
Are you running the tunes that came with the Mini Maxx. I noticed what i would call Timing noise after downloading the Hot Damn tune, dont remember hearing it with the original tune.

For shifting try downloading another tune off the website, i like the 45 mph lockup the best, mine wont lock until about 52 which is where i want it. Also try downloading to stock and then re-downloading and do your tranny relearn in mild instead of hot.

They also have some "Easy Tunes" on their website that you can try.

I have noticed the longer i leave mine on a tune the better it shifts, i have also played around with acceleration and found out that you can make it shift better by going a little harder or a little slower than where you normally would accelerate
Old 07-02-2010, 02:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:

We have a couple of different trans tunes. Try them both and I know you will find one that works best for you. The tranny will take a bit of time to learn the new tuning, so it should start getting much better for you.

Quote:
When running the mild tune, if I give the truck a little more gas than quarter pedal, I get a lot of valve noise. It's like I can't get the truck to do an "easy" take off from a dead stop. It's like I have to go fast from a dead stop to clear up the valve noise. Is this normal? Maybe I can hear more engine noise since the exhaust is free flow?
You will get a bit more clatter from the engine due to the free flow exhaust, as well as the tuning being different than stock. These trucks are tuned to be as quiet as possible from the factory, not tuned for optimal performance.

Quote:
The quality of the tuner or the actual tuning itself? You are actually the first person I have heard of going from an SCT to ours and not liking it. I would love to speak to you to see if we can make you happier. My door is always open to speak with a customer, so let me know.

-Casey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.